Raspberry Meringue Kisses

pink raspberry meringues

I don’t really buy into the idea of Valentines day, I’m not keen on the idea of forced romance…I prefer a little more spontaneity when it comes to that kind of thing. I do however enjoy playing with food colouring and given that at this time of year it is practically mandatory to dye everything pink or red I might as well make the most of it!

raspberry meringues

Hence these brightly coloured raspberry meringue kisses, the beautiful striped effect is achieved by painting stripes of gel food colouring down the inside of a piping bag before you fill it with the meringue mixture. I used this pink colouring but you can go for any colour you like (they were supposed to be pale pink stripes but I was a little heavy handed (as I am often wont to be…Damian’s occasional nicknames for me are smasher, brute and hulk…flattering…) when I was painting the food colouring on the piping bag, so they came out almost red).

pink raspberry meringue kisses

The raspberry flavour comes from the addition of seedless raspberry jam, which is folded into the meringue mixture once it has been whipped to stiff peaks. I was slightly dubious that it would work, I thought that the jam may prevent the meringue from becoming crisp, but they turned out perfectly – crisp with a delicate raspberry flavour. I actually made several batches – some with the jam and some with powdered freeze dried raspberries instead, which are more commonly used to flavour meringue, and both Damian and myself preferred the ones flavoured with jam so that is the recipe I have provided (I have ended up with at least a hundred meringues…). If you want to use freeze dried raspberries instead, grind about 2 1/2 tablespoons of raspberry pieces in a pestle and mortar to a fine powder, pass it through a sieve to remove the seeds and gently fold it into the meringue.

raspberry meringue kisses

It is difficult to give an exact bake time for meringues as it very much depends on your oven (meringues this size used to bake in 45 minutes in my last oven but take 2 hours in the one I have now…), just bake them at a very low temperature (essentially pretty much as low as your oven will go), and keep an eye on them – check them after 35 minutes and then keep checking every 15-20 minutes until they are done. I found that due to the jam they didn’t feel completely dry and crisp until after I took them out of the oven, whereupon they crisped up after a minute or two; so to check if they are done, take them out of the oven and let them sit for a minute then try peeling them off the paper, if they feel crisp and come away from the paper with the base intact then they are done, if not, pop them back in the oven for 15 minutes or so. These delicious little bites are fantastic on their own but are also great scattered over a bowl of ice cream and make great decorations for cakes.

striped raspberry meringue kissesΒ

Raspberry Meringue Kisses

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 150g (1 + ½ cups) caster (superfine) sugar
  • 3 level tbsp seedless raspberry jam (use a proper measuring spoon)
  • pink gel food colouring
  1. Heat the oven to 100C/215F/gas mark ¼
  2. Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
  3. Beat the egg whites using an electric whisk or stand mixer in a large, spotlessly clean bowl until soft peaks form.
  4. Add the sugar gradually, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition, until all the sugar has been added.
  5. Continue to whisk the meringue for a few minutes more until it is very thick and glossy and forms stiff peaks when you lift the whisk out of the bowl.
  6. In a separate bowl, whisk the jam until it is smooth then add to the bowl of meringue and very gently whisk through until smooth.
  7. Fit a piping bag with a large plain or star nozzle (or simply snip the corner off a disposable piping bag). Turn the bag inside-out, either over a jug or vase, or I like to do it over my arm - holding the nozzle in my hand. Use a (clean!) artists paintbrush to paint stripes of the gel colouring down the inside of the bag.
  8. Fill the bag with the meringue and twist the top closed. Use a little meringue mix to stick the greaseproof paper to the baking trays (this makes it easier to pipe) and pipe small 'kisses', slightly spaced apart on the trays, I like to do a couple of different sizes.
  9. Bake for about 45 minutes, but be aware that they could take up to two hours depending on your oven (mine took 1 hour for teeny ones and two for larger ones). They are ready when they can be lifted off the paper in one piece - if the bottom comes away they aren't ready yet.
  10. I found that due to the jam they still felt a little soft when they were actually done, but firmed up after being taken out of the oven. Take them out of the oven and let them sit for a couple of minutes before trying to lift them off the paper, they should have become firm and peel off the paper in one piece, if they aren't ready yet put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes then check again.
  11. Cool and store in an airtight container.

striped raspberry meringues

stripey meringues

I am sharing these with Totally Talented Tuesdays, Create Link Inspire, Foodie Fridays, Foodie Friends Friday, Fiesta Friday

Casa Costello

#CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

57 Comments on Raspberry Meringue Kisses

1. Janine
    January 29, 2015 at 2:42 pm (2 years ago)

Agreed, not huge on the forced romance either, because love should be celebrated throughout the year. These are gorgeous, love the colored effect !

January 29, 2015 at 9:12 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you!

2. thebrookcook
    January 29, 2015 at 3:22 pm (2 years ago)

I have made my grandmother’s raspberry meringue kisses for my entire life- they have raspberry jello incorporated into the egg whites with the granulated sugar- giving them color and flavor. I love this more sophisticated take on them!! LOVE the stripes especially!! Beautiful πŸ™‚

January 29, 2015 at 9:11 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you πŸ™‚ That’s an interesting idea to use jelly as flavouring, I might have to give it a try!

3. skd
    January 29, 2015 at 6:21 pm (2 years ago)

OMG

January 29, 2015 at 9:11 pm (2 years ago)

πŸ™‚

4. Ginger
    January 29, 2015 at 10:03 pm (2 years ago)

I’m not really a huge fan of Valentine’s day – but those lovely meringues I’d have anyday!

February 1, 2015 at 9:28 am (2 years ago)

I don’t like it either, but having fun with food colouring I do enjoy!

February 1, 2015 at 9:29 am (2 years ago)

5. Michelle @ Giraffes Can Bake
    January 30, 2015 at 2:55 pm (2 years ago)

These are so cute, and meringue is one of my all time favourite things! I’m not big on valentine’s day either, but I might be won over with some of these!

6. Audrey@That Recipe
    January 30, 2015 at 6:54 pm (2 years ago)

these look amazing! I love meringues.

saw this on Foodie Friends Friday

7. Nancy
    January 30, 2015 at 7:00 pm (2 years ago)

Beautiful… you apparently have the meringue technique down to a science… perfection! Not only are they stunning to look at, but I imagine the flavors are amazing as well. Thanks for sharing them with the Fiesta Friday Part 2 Anniversary Party… they’re the perfect bit of sweetness!

February 1, 2015 at 9:43 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Nancy πŸ™‚ It took me a while to get the hang of them in the (terrible) oven I have at the moment but I think I’ve mastered it now!

8. Selma's Table
    January 30, 2015 at 10:55 pm (2 years ago)

These look stunning Hannah!

February 1, 2015 at 9:46 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Selma πŸ™‚

9. weebirdie
    January 31, 2015 at 12:05 am (2 years ago)

What a lovely colour! I’d made meringue drops before, but yours has such a beautiful strips. I would give a go with your recipe next time. Thank you!

February 1, 2015 at 9:48 am (2 years ago)

It’s a really easy technique πŸ™‚ I love playing with colour!

10. Johanne Lamarche
    February 1, 2015 at 4:49 am (2 years ago)

So pretty and happy they look like that gorgeous florentine paper. I love making things for my loved ones at Valentines and these are perfect.

11. spiceinthecity
    February 1, 2015 at 11:48 am (2 years ago)

These are the most beautiful meringues I’ve seen Hannah! So, so pretty!!

February 2, 2015 at 12:51 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Naina πŸ™‚

12. sarahgiebens
    February 1, 2015 at 8:10 pm (2 years ago)

They looks just perfect! Yummy!

February 2, 2015 at 12:53 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Sarah πŸ™‚

13. Jhuls
    February 2, 2015 at 7:51 am (2 years ago)

Aren’t these the cutest?? <3 <3 <3 They are so adorable, Hannah.

February 2, 2015 at 12:54 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Jhuls πŸ™‚

14. Frugal Hausfrau
    February 2, 2015 at 9:29 am (2 years ago)

These just look so fun and adorable! I could see using these to decorate a child’s birthday cake!!

February 2, 2015 at 12:56 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you πŸ™‚ The plan was to use them to decorate a cake…it didn’t happen because I decided to make mini cakes instead, but they would be perfect piled on top of a birthday cake πŸ™‚

• Frugal Hausfrau
        February 4, 2015 at 9:34 am (2 years ago)

πŸ™‚ Well, they look marvelous as is, too!

February 2, 2015 at 12:59 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! πŸ™‚

15. Sian | The Mama Story
    February 3, 2015 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

These look adorable! I love meringue and am very tempted to have a go at making these.

February 4, 2015 at 11:46 am (2 years ago)

Thank you πŸ™‚ meringues aren’t one of my favourites to be honest, but my fiance absolutely loves them so I make them quite a lot for him!

February 4, 2015 at 11:47 am (2 years ago)

February 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm (2 years ago)

16. Miranda @ Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt
    February 4, 2015 at 4:07 pm (2 years ago)

I love Valentine’s day and the forced love. lol I also love these little raspberry meringues. That food color really did amazing work in these gorgeous little kisses.

February 4, 2015 at 7:29 pm (2 years ago)

17. Lina
    February 4, 2015 at 9:19 pm (2 years ago)

These look gorgeous – fabulous photos too! I might try these for valentines day πŸ™‚

February 6, 2015 at 10:39 pm (2 years ago)

18. dishofdailylife
    February 5, 2015 at 5:25 pm (2 years ago)

These are so pretty! We’re not big on Valentine’s Day here, but I am tempted to try to make these! They look awesome, and definitely fun for Valentine’s Day! Sending a little foodie love your way!

February 6, 2015 at 10:41 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Michelle πŸ™‚ I don’t really do valentines day either, but it is a good excuse to make some tasty, colourful food…

19. Helen at Casa Costello
    February 6, 2015 at 1:30 pm (2 years ago)

Genius idea to use raspberry jam – I’m definitely going to try this technique. I too would have thought they might not rise. Thanks so much for joining in with #FoodieFriday – New roundup open later x

20. lucyparissi
    February 6, 2015 at 7:17 pm (2 years ago)

So pretty! I am addicted to meringue kisses… I tell myself that at least they are fat free!! These look totally gorgeous Hannah… #CookBlogShare

February 6, 2015 at 10:54 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Lucy :), they are fat free, and egg whites are healthy right?!

21. HonestMum (@HonestMummy)
    February 6, 2015 at 11:31 pm (2 years ago)

These are heavenly, I’ve pinned nearly every image. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

February 7, 2015 at 2:06 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Vicki πŸ™‚ x

22. Steph @MisplacedBrit
    February 9, 2015 at 10:59 pm (2 years ago)

These look absolutely fantastic! You’ve totally nailed it …I’ve yet to make meringues πŸ™‚ …YUM.
    #TastyTuesday #CookBlogShare

February 10, 2015 at 12:04 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! I never had any issues making meringues until I moved house and the oven I have at the moment is terrible! Can’t wait to move and get a nice new one…

23. petra08
    February 12, 2015 at 12:12 am (2 years ago)

I can’t even make normal meringues and these are so wonderfully pretty and looks like a perfect bite πŸ™‚ Am so impressed!

February 13, 2015 at 11:28 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Petra πŸ™‚

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Raspberry Meringue Kisses

1. […] img#wpstats{display:none} .site-header { background: url(http://domesticgothess.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DomesticGothess-bannerpurpling.png) no-repeat scroll top; } .site-title, .site-description { position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px); } p { } h1 { } h2 { } h3 { } h4 { } h5 { } h6 { } { } window.dynamicgoogletags={config:[]};dynamicgoogletags.config=["ca-pub-5044268885069153",[[]],[[[[9653709,[[0,199]]],[9653710,[[500,699]]]],[[["BODY",0,,[]],["10px","10px",1],1,[2],,0],[["HEADER",0,,[]],["7.800000190734863px","10px",1],0,[1],,0],[["HEADER",0,,[]],["7.800000190734863px","10.399999618530273px",1],3,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"comments",[]],["19.5px","24.700000762939453px",1],0,[3],,0],[["DIV",,"commentform",[]],["10px","10px",1],1,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"commentform",[]],["2px","2px",1],3,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"comments",[]],["9.599199295043945px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"secondary",[]],["10px","10px",1],1,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"blog_subscription-2",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"text-8",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"text-2",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"categories-2",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"archives-2",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"text-3",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"text-4",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"text-5",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"secondary",[]],["10px","10px",1],2,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"secondary",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"site-generator",[]],["10px","10px",1],0,[1],,0],[["DIV",,"site-generator",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["BODY",0,,[]],["10px","10px",1],2,[1],,0],[["ARTICLE",0,,["post"],0],["10px","13px",0],0,[0],,0],[["ARTICLE",0,,["post"],1],["10px","13px",0],0,[0],,0],[["ARTICLE",0,,["post"],2],["10px","13px",0],0,[0],,0],[["ARTICLE",0,,["post"],-1],["10px","10px",0],3,[0],,0],[["ASIDE",,"aps_widget-2",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0],[["ASIDE",,"text-10",[]],["10px","10px",1],3,[1],,0]],["7313223020","8789956226","1266689423","7951704620","9428437826"],["ARTICLE",,,["post"]]]],"WordPressSinglePost","4353083426",,0.001];(function(){var k=function(a){return"number"==typeof a},n=function(a,b){function c(){}c.prototype=b.prototype;a.B=b.prototype;a.prototype=new c;a.w=function(a,c,h){for(var g=Array(arguments.length-2),e=2;e Posted in Baking, Cakes, Chocolate, Cupcakes, Fruit, Recipes and tagged Cake, chocolate, chocolate cake, cupcakes, Dessert, individual cakes, layer cake, mini cakes, raspberry, romantic, single serving cake, valentines on February 2, 2015 by hannahhossack. Leave a comment ← Raspberry Meringue Kisses […]

2. […] we please pause for a moment and look at how cute these Raspberry Meringue Kisses Β from the Domestic GoddessΒ are? Β Tots adorbs […]

3. […] The genius idea to include raspberry jam in these meringue kisses has made their divine colour – Domestic Goddess 2. Timeless combination of lemon and coconut […]