Plum And Amaretto Jam

Plum and amaretto jam - Domestic GothessSummer is the perfect time to stock up on jam and preserves; yes jam may not be the first thing that comes to mind when there is so much beautiful fresh fruit around that is delicious just as it is, but if you happen to have some that is a little less than perfect or past it’s best then making jam is one of the best ways to use it up and make the most of it.

Plum & amaretto jam - Domestic GothessWhen I found a big bag of plums on offer I just couldn’t resist them, and I knew exactly what I wanted to make – jam. I toyed with a few different ideas for additions (most of them booze of varying varieties…), I didn’t want to make a plain plum jam, and in the end settled on amaretto because I just love the combination of plum and almond. It turned out amazingly! I polished off an entire jar within a couple of days of making it, I just couldn’t stop going back for another slice of toast and jam, it is pretty much what I lived off of for two days…(the bread pictured is my delicious muesli bread, in case you were interested, which tasted fantastic with the jam).

Plum and amaretto jam recipe - Domestic GothessThe jam turned out such a beautiful bright red colour that you could be forgiven for thinking that it was artificially coloured…it’s not, though the colour will vary depending on the type of plums you use, mine were a mixture of purple and deep red. Jam may seem a little daunting to make, but it is actually incredibly easy, and at it’s most basic is simply a mixture of equal weights of fruit and sugar. Plums are naturally high in pectin, so there is no need to add any extra, it will set just fine without; so the recipe has a total of just four ingredients, plus a little bit of water. I ended up with three 370g jars and three 190g jars worth of jam, but it is always worth sterilising more jars than you think you will need, just in case.

Plum & amaretto jam recipe - Domestic Gothess

Plum And Amaretto Jam

Author:
  • 1kg (35 oz) plums
  • 250ml (1 cup) water
  • 1kg (35 oz) granulated or preserving sugar
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 45ml (3 tbsp) amaretto
  1. Wash, stone and quarter the plums. Place in a deep, heavy bottomed non reactive saucepan with the water. Bring up to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until the plums are soft and have started to break down.
  2. While the plums are cooking sterilise your jars, heat the oven to 140C/275F/gas mark 1. Wash the jars and lids well in hot soapy water then rinse. Place a sheet of baking parchment on the shelf of your oven and place the jars and lids on top of it, making sure that they aren't touching (don't dry them), leave them in the oven until you need them (always sterilise more jars than you think you will need). Place three saucers or small plates in the freezer.
  3. Add the lemon juice and sugar to the plums and heat gently while stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring it up to a fast boil and boil for 10 minutes then remove from the heat and check for a set by putting a small blob of the jam on one of the frozen plates, put the plate in the fridge for a minute until the jam has cooled then push at it with a finger, if the jam wrinkles when you prod it, it is ready.
  4. If the jam isn't ready yet, bring it back up to the boil and boil rapidly for another five minutes, then remove from the heat and test for a set again. Repeat until the jam is set. Alternatively, if you have a thermometer, the jam should reach 105C/220F (setting point).
  5. Let the jam cool for about 10 minutes, then stir in the amaretto. Divide the jam between the hot jars (never add hot jam to cold jars, they may shatter) and place the lids on. Store in a cool, dark place and refrigerate after opening.

Amazing plum and amaretto jam - Domestic GothessI am sharing this with Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday hosted by Cooking With Aunt Juju and Food Eat Love, Foodie Fridiy, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

CookBlogShare

25 Comments on Plum And Amaretto Jam

1. patisseriemakesperfect
    July 23, 2015 at 1:06 pm (2 years ago)

This looks so delicious! I love the colours, they’re so vivid. I’m jealous of your butter knife too! My Nan used to have lots like that,

Beautiful pictures Hannah.

July 23, 2015 at 1:19 pm (2 years ago)

Ha Ha! The butter knife WAS my nans! 🙂 Thanks Angela

2. Kaila
    July 24, 2015 at 12:52 pm (2 years ago)

Yum! We made jam this week. We canned some, but left one open to eat! Your jam sounds delicious, I love the bright final color. Happy FF, and have a wonderful weekend! 😀

July 24, 2015 at 9:59 pm (2 years ago)

I’m already on my second jar of this one…I can’t stop eating it, I was going to give some away as gifts but I’m not so sure I will now…I want it all for myself

3. Dini @ The Flavor Bender
    July 24, 2015 at 4:34 pm (2 years ago)

I used to hate Jam when I was a child! I was missing out on so many things! I am making up for it now though!
    I love the flavours in this… Plum and ameretto? I’ll feel like a kid AND an adult at the same time 😉

July 24, 2015 at 10:02 pm (2 years ago)

How strange, Most children love jam! All of the jam flavours I want to make involve booze of some variety now..definitely not for children!

4. carolinescookingblog
    July 24, 2015 at 9:18 pm (2 years ago)

This sounds like a delicious flavor, and you are right, the color is great!

July 24, 2015 at 10:04 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Caroline 🙂 The photos almost look fake as the colour is so bright, I barely did any editing though!

5. Margherita
    July 25, 2015 at 2:28 pm (2 years ago)

What a interesting combination of flavours! Your photos are great, as usual!

August 1, 2015 at 7:33 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Margherita 🙂 They work incredibly well together

6. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    July 25, 2015 at 11:10 pm (2 years ago)

I agree that Summer is the perfect time to make use of all the gorgeous fruit available. The colour of your jam is absolutely stunning! Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays 🙂

August 1, 2015 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Lauren 🙂 It turned out so much brighter than I expected!

7. dishofdailylife
    July 27, 2015 at 3:50 pm (2 years ago)

Your jam looks fabulous! I’m so glad you shared it with us at #FoodieFriDIY…pinning and sharing! Have a great week!

August 1, 2015 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

8. petra08
    July 27, 2015 at 5:01 pm (2 years ago)

You have bought two lovely additions to Fiesta Friday! This jam looks so good. The colour is very vibrant and looks oh so perfect with the museli bread! I would love to pop over for breakfast at yours! 🙂

August 1, 2015 at 7:38 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Petra! The muesli bread and jam were delicious together 🙂 I’m usually really boring for breakfast and just have cereal though…

9. Sophie @ Mum, M & More
    July 28, 2015 at 1:36 pm (2 years ago)

I am a huge plum jam fan, my mum used to make it when we were little as we had a plum tree. The added amaretto sounds perfect and so delicious! 🙂 #tastytuesdays

August 1, 2015 at 7:43 am (2 years ago)

I have a plum tree in my garden, but there’s no fruit on it this year! And they are usually a slightly yellow/greenish colour so jam made with them would never be as bright and beautiful as this one turned out!

10. pearl jolly/pretty mayhem
    July 29, 2015 at 11:01 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve never actually thought about adding booze to homemade jam but it’s a brilliant idea! I love both plums and amaretto so I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe for the future, thanks for sharing it!

August 1, 2015 at 7:47 am (2 years ago)

Yes I love booze in jam! Lots of different types work really well, it can help cut through the sweetness a little as well (not so much amaretto as it is very sweet)

11. Hayley (@SnapHappyBakes)
    July 30, 2015 at 8:19 am (2 years ago)

Ooo I’ve never thought of using amaretto in a jam. I bet the flavours are amazing! Love the colour too – stunning! Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

August 1, 2015 at 7:48 am (2 years ago)

Thank you 🙂 It is my favourite jam I have ever made I think!

12. Honest Mum
    August 2, 2015 at 4:28 pm (2 years ago)

Sounds an incredible mix and this would make lovely gifts too x

August 8, 2015 at 7:28 am (2 years ago)

Yes I’ve given a couple of jars away, I was planning on saving some for Christmas but I really don’t think it will last that long! x

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Plum And Amaretto Jam

1. Easiest three ingredient dip with homemade spicy tomato salsa for Can-It-Forward Day says:

[…] jam recipes at Fab Food 4 All. • Pineapple chilli jam from Farmersgirl Kitchen • Plum and Amaretto jam from Domestic Gothess. • Homemade Russian sauerkraut from Vikalinka. • Homemade pickled […]