Banana Pancakes With Honey Butter

Banana pancakes with whipped honey butter, quick, easy and healthy(ish), perfect for breakfast or brunch - Domestic Gothess I often buy bananas with the intention of letting them go brown and overripe as I love to bake with them; they are horrible to eat as they are, but mash them up and mix them into cake, or milkshake, or pancakes and they become something truly delicious. The smell of banana bread baking is utterly irresistible; when I don’t want to wait for banana bread to bake though, banana pancakes are the next best thing. They are super quick and easy to make, taste amazing and are much healthier than cake!

Banana pancakes with honey butter, a quick, easy, healthy(ish) breakfast - Domestic GothessI made these ones even healthier by using Clover instead of butter, which has no artificial ingredients, is made with buttermilk and has half the saturated fat of butter but all the buttery flavour. You can swap it like for like in place of butter in most recipes. I used a little melted Clover in the pancake batter, fried the pancakes using Clover cooking spray, which is great because it means you only need to use a teeny bit; and I served the pancakes with honey butter. A simple mixture of Clover butter and runny honey beaten together until it is smooth and light, honey butter is sweet, creamy and utterly delicious; you can add a pinch of sea salt if you like, or a sprinkling of cinnamon. The recipe makes more honey butter than you need for the pancakes, but it keeps well in the fridge (covered) and it is amazing on toast, pancakes, scones and muffins; it won’t last long!

cloverThese pancakes make a great weekend breakfast or brunch, I like to serve them with some extra sliced (non-brown) banana, a drizzle of honey, a pat of the honey butter and a sprinkling of chopped pecans; though they would also be great with strawberries and ice cream…. They are even tasty and sweet enough to eat plain, and I couldn’t help myself from scoffing a couple straight from the pan, they didn’t even make it as far as a plate!

Banana pancakes with whipped honey butter - Domestic GothessClover are currently running a competition on their Facebook page where you can enter to win a Clover oven glove and personalised fridge magnets; all you need to do is upload a photo of a meal you made for your family, easy!

Banana Pancakes With Honey Butter
Serves 4 sensibly, 2 greedily
Honey Butter
  • 100g (7 tbsp) Clover original butter
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 240ml (1 cup) buttermilk
  • 1 large very ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • 25g (2 tbsp) Clover original butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 180g (1 + ½ cups) plain flour
  • 25g (2 tbsp) caster sugar
  • ½ tbsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • ⅛ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
  • Clover cooking spray
To Serve
  • honey, sliced banana, chopped pecans
To Make The Honey Butter
  1. Beat together the Clover butter and honey in a bowl either with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until very smooth and light, cover and refrigerate until needed.
To Make The Pancakes
  1. Whisk together the buttermilk, mashed banana, egg, melted Clover butter and vanilla extract in a jug. In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry; the mixture will be a little lumpy; set the batter aside for five minutes.
  2. Place a frying pan over a low heat and spray with Clover cooking spray; pour a small ladleful of batter into the pan, cook until the surface is bubbly and set around the edges then flip the pancake over and cook on the other side until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more cooking spray as needed; you can cook several pancakes at a time if your pan is large enough.
  3. Serve the pancakes with the honey butter and extra honey, sliced banana and chopped pecans.

Β Banana pancakes with honey butter, a tasty, quick, healthy breakfast or brunch - Domestic GothessThis post is sponsored by Clover, all opinions are my own.

I am sharing these with Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday hosted by The Not So Creative Cook and GF Life 24/7, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features

21 Comments on Banana Pancakes With Honey Butter

1. vikalinkafood
    November 4, 2015 at 3:57 pm (12 months ago)

I also often buy bananas with the intention of baking with them but my little munchkins get to the before me! I love the idea of banana pancakes, Hannah! So clever, I will have to make them this Saturday.

November 5, 2015 at 8:37 am (12 months ago)

I always mean to bake with them but don’t usually get round to it and just end up making banana milkshakes instead…though I do love banana pancakes!

2. sally hossack
    November 4, 2015 at 8:13 pm (12 months ago)

Utterly butterly! Delicious and healthy recipe Hannah

3. lucyparissi
    November 5, 2015 at 8:37 am (12 months ago)

Right that’s it – I am having breakfast at your house from now on! This looks amazing. A proper feast as my kids would say : )

November 5, 2015 at 10:12 am (12 months ago)

Ha ha! Unfortunately most days I’m lazy and just have porridge or cereal…I’m not great at cooking in the morning… I do push the boat out if we have people staying though πŸ˜› x

4. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    November 5, 2015 at 10:30 pm (12 months ago)

Ha, I buy bananas for the same reason too! These look amazing, what a great way to start the day!

November 10, 2015 at 9:19 am (12 months ago)

Thanks Lauren, if only every day could start with pancakes…

5. Jhuls
    November 6, 2015 at 2:33 pm (12 months ago)

I could relate with you – I also buy bananas with the intention of ripening them for baking. I haven’t tried ripening them using the tricks I found over the web – I rather buy them and make them ripe. For me, that will give you better flavor. Agree? πŸ˜€ I always use bananas in muffins or loaf. But your banana pancakes say that I should try them, too. πŸ˜€ Look absolutely awesome, Hannah. πŸ™‚

November 10, 2015 at 9:16 am (12 months ago)

I have tried ripening bananas in the oven before when I really wanted to bake some banana bread but they weren’t quite ripe enough; but I don’t think they were as sweet as naturally ripened ones so it’s not a trick I’ll bother with again. Thanks Jhuls πŸ™‚

6. Kaila
    November 7, 2015 at 2:16 pm (12 months ago)

The honey butter sounds amazing! Banana bread is one of my favorites to make, and your banana pancakes look even better. Thanks for bringing them to the fiesta, and have a delightful weekend. πŸ˜€

November 10, 2015 at 9:09 am (12 months ago)

It is really delicious, and great on loads of things! Banana bread baking is the best smell in the world, but banana pancakes come pretty close!

7. Suchitra
    November 7, 2015 at 4:20 pm (12 months ago)

Your banana pancakes made me hungry! Love the pictures! This is a great recipe for overripe bananas. Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend!

8. Suchitra
    November 7, 2015 at 4:28 pm (12 months ago)

Your banana pancakes look delicious! A great way to use overripe bananas! The pics are making me drool! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend!

November 10, 2015 at 9:08 am (12 months ago)

Thanks Suchitra πŸ™‚

9. Noelle
    November 8, 2015 at 6:38 pm (12 months ago)

This took me all the way back to when I first tasted banana pancakes in Amsterdam. They were so delicious I got myself invited into the kitchens and helped the chef made a batch! Your pictures and presentation are very eye catching…thanks.

10. Noelle
    November 8, 2015 at 6:42 pm (12 months ago)

I meant to leave my website…and just incase my comment got lost, I loved your pictures and presentation. The banana pancakes reminded me of the time I first tasted these in Amsterdam, when I got myself invited into the restaurant’s kitchen and helped the chef rustle up another batch! They are really delicious aren’t they?

November 10, 2015 at 9:06 am (12 months ago)

Thanks Noelle πŸ™‚ Getting into the restaurant kitchen sounds like fun! I’m always intrigued to see how professional chefs cook things.

11. Zoe
    November 9, 2015 at 11:32 pm (12 months ago)

Definitely going to treat myself to these for breakfast at the weekend!
    Zoe – Tea at Midnight

12. Renee Jordan
    November 10, 2015 at 3:41 am (12 months ago)

These look amazing πŸ™‚

November 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm (11 months ago)

I could happily eat a whole pile of these Hannah! They look wonderful! x