I often buy bananas with the intention of letting them go brown and overripe as I love to bake with them; they are horrible to eat as they are, but mash them up and mix them into cake, or milkshake, or pancakes and they become something truly delicious. The smell of banana bread baking is utterly irresistible; when I don’t want to wait for banana bread to bake though, banana pancakes are the next best thing. They are super quick and easy to make, taste amazing and are much healthier than cake!
I made these ones even healthier by using Clover instead of butter, which has no artificial ingredients, is made with buttermilk and has half the saturated fat of butter but all the buttery flavour. You can swap it like for like in place of butter in most recipes. I used a little melted Clover in the pancake batter, fried the pancakes using Clover cooking spray, which is great because it means you only need to use a teeny bit; and I served the pancakes with honey butter. A simple mixture of Clover butter and runny honey beaten together until it is smooth and light, honey butter is sweet, creamy and utterly delicious; you can add a pinch of sea salt if you like, or a sprinkling of cinnamon. The recipe makes more honey butter than you need for the pancakes, but it keeps well in the fridge (covered) and it is amazing on toast, pancakes, scones and muffins; it won’t last long!
These pancakes make a great weekend breakfast or brunch, I like to serve them with some extra sliced (non-brown) banana, a drizzle of honey, a pat of the honey butter and a sprinkling of chopped pecans; though they would also be great with strawberries and ice cream…. They are even tasty and sweet enough to eat plain, and I couldn’t help myself from scoffing a couple straight from the pan, they didn’t even make it as far as a plate!
Clover are currently running a competition on their Facebook page where you can enter to win a Clover oven glove and personalised fridge magnets; all you need to do is upload a photo of a meal you made for your family, easy!
- 100g (7 tbsp) Clover original butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 240ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 1 large very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 25g (2 tbsp) Clover original butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g (1 + ½ cups) plain flour
- 25g (2 tbsp) caster sugar
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- Clover cooking spray
- honey, sliced banana, chopped pecans
- Beat together the Clover butter and honey in a bowl either with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until very smooth and light, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, mashed banana, egg, melted Clover butter and vanilla extract in a jug. In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry; the mixture will be a little lumpy; set the batter aside for five minutes.
- Place a frying pan over a low heat and spray with Clover cooking spray; pour a small ladleful of batter into the pan, cook until the surface is bubbly and set around the edges then flip the pancake over and cook on the other side until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more cooking spray as needed; you can cook several pancakes at a time if your pan is large enough.
- Serve the pancakes with the honey butter and extra honey, sliced banana and chopped pecans.