Gingerbread Spiced Apple Doughnuts

Gingerbread spiced apple doughnuts - Domestic GothessI have been craving doughnuts for several months now, but held off making them until there was an occasion where there would be enough people to eat them all; the problem with doughnuts is that they really are best eaten on the day they are made after which they start to go a bit dry. So when some friends finally hosted a party I took the opportunity to make some to take along.

Gingerbread spiced apple yeast doughnuts - Domestic GothessI wanted to make something fairly seasonal, I have been in the mood for warming spices so gingerbread spiced apple doughnuts immediately came to mind. The doughnut dough is a sweet enriched yeasted dough flavoured with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and treacle and I filled the doughnuts with a cinnamon spiced apple sauce and rolled them in spiced sugar. They are sweet and spicy, with a tang from the apples, and the dough is beautifully soft. In short, they are frikkin delicious!

Gingerbread spiced fried yeast doughnuts filled with apple compote - Domestic GothessSo delicious in fact that I made them to take to two parties and I clearly didn’t do enough of them as they had all disappeared within five minutes of my arrival! They do take a bit of time, but most of it is just waiting for the dough to rise and they are seriously worth the effort, you can’t beat homemade doughnuts!

Gingerbread Spiced Apple Doughnuts
  • ⅛ tsp ground allspice
  • ⅛ tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 75g (scant ⅓ cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp treacle
  • 4 tsp glycerin (optional, but helps keep the doughnuts soft)
  • vegetable oil for frying
Apple Filling
  • 3 large bramley apples
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
  • pinch cinnamon
Spiced Sugar Coating
  • 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  1. To make the dough, heat the milk until it is just boiling then set aside to cool until it is lukewarm (it is very important that it is not too hot or it may kill the yeast); scalding the milk makes the finished dough softer. Once the milk has cooled, add the yeast, whisk to combine and leave in a warm place for about 5 minutes until foaming and active.
  2. Place the rest of the dough ingredients an a large bowl, add the yeasty milk and mix until it comes together into a dough and you have picked up all the flour from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto an un-floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or so until the dough is very smooth and elastic. It is a soft dough, but due to the butter and glycerin it will not remain sticky for long once you start kneading.
  3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and set aside in a warm place for a couple of hours until puffy; it doesn't rise quite as much as standard bread dough.
  4. While the dough is rising prepare the apple filling. Peel, core and dice the apples and place in a large pan with the sugar, water and cinnamon. Bring up to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the apples have broken down and become mushy. Add a splash more water if needed though bear in mind that you need the sauce to be quite thick.
  5. Puree the apple sauce using a stick blender (any chunks of apple make it difficult to pipe into the doughnuts). Taste and add more sugar and cinnamon as needed; cover and refrigerate.
  6. Give the risen dough a brief kneading to knock it back then roll it out to about 1cm thick (flour the surface a little if needed). Use a 6-7cm round cutter to cut out as many circles as possible and place them well-spaced apart on a baking parchment lined tray. Re-roll the scraps and cut out more circles.
  7. Loosely cover the doughnuts with lightly oiled clingfilm and set aside to rise until puffy, about 45 minutes.
  8. While the doughnuts are rising, mix together the sugar and spices in a shallow bowl. Heat a deep fat fryer or large pan of oil to 180C/350F.
  9. Fry the risen doughnuts a few at a time for about 2-3 minutes per side until deep golden; when cooked, a skewer inserted into the centre of the doughnut should come out completely clean. Drain on kitchen paper then as soon as they are cool enough to handle, toss them in the spiced sugar.
  10. Pierce the side of each doughnut with a skewer or chopstick and wiggle it around a bit to create space inside the doughnut. Place the apple compote in a piping gun, syringe or cookie press fitted with a medium round nozzle (you can use a piping bag but it it far easier to use a gun/syringe). Fill each doughnut with apple sauce until it starts to ooze out.

Gingerbread spiced apple doughnutsI am sharing these with Saucy Saturdays hosted by The Flavour Bender, Take Two Tapas, La Petit Chef and Mid-Life Croissant, Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday hosted by Safari Of The Mind and Food Eat Love, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features
Tasty Tuesdays on

23 Comments on Gingerbread Spiced Apple Doughnuts

1. Annie Allen
    November 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm (11 months ago)

I can confirm that these are indeed totally delicious and amazing! and Hannah – those photos really look stunning! x

2. Julie is Hostess At Heart
    November 16, 2015 at 1:44 pm (11 months ago)

I love doughnuts but never make them because I love them too much! These are just gorgeous, and a great idea taking them to a party!

3. Lucy Parissi
    November 16, 2015 at 2:40 pm (11 months ago)

I am on my knees begging for mercy. These look UNBELIEVABLE!! Absolutely gorgeous and can you please cater my next party?

4. Jesse
    November 16, 2015 at 4:21 pm (11 months ago)

Ok, these photos are ridiculously gorgeous and I cannot think about anything else other than those doughnuts now – with two hours of work to go! Thanks for nothing Hannah 🙂

5. vikalinkafood
    November 16, 2015 at 8:22 pm (11 months ago)

Oh I wish I was at those parties, Hannah! These doughnuts look beyond gorgeous and I LOVE that you made them with seasonal flavours! Also, apple filling…YUM!

6. Amy
    November 16, 2015 at 9:36 pm (11 months ago)

Could you deliver some of these to my office this morning? They look fabulous! Everything about these is perfect for a holiday treat – I can imagine that you were the most popular person at the party for sure 🙂 I need to work on my doughnut making skills and make these soon!

November 17, 2015 at 10:28 pm (11 months ago)

Next time you need people to eat your doughnuts, please don’t hesitate to call!! These look incredible Hannah!! x

8. vegeTARAian
    November 19, 2015 at 10:13 am (11 months ago)

Ooooeeeer, so oozy! They look fabulous, I’ll take a 6 pack please.

9. bakeplaysmile
    November 19, 2015 at 9:06 pm (11 months ago)

What a fantastic idea!! Gosh they are just drool worthy! Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party xx

10. FrugalHausfrau
    November 21, 2015 at 9:10 am (11 months ago)

Oh my gosh! These sounded so good but then they’re filled, too! Wow! If you feel like bringing them by Throwback Thursday, we wouldn’t say no to a dozen or so! Click back through my gravatar and you’ll find the TT post.

11. The Kiwi Fruit
    November 21, 2015 at 7:55 pm (11 months ago)

YUMMY these look so awesome!!! Wish I would just grab one out!

12. petra08
    November 22, 2015 at 11:14 am (11 months ago)

I have never seen such a gorgeous looking doughnut! And that apple and cinnamon filling sounds just perfect, lucky friends! Thanks for bringing this to Fiesta Friday! 🙂

13. Honest Mum (@HonestMummy)
    November 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm (11 months ago)

Your stills are like oil paintings. I love your blog so much-it’s ’emotion on screen’-you take me back to my childhood or across time, geography, place, so, so powerful. I hope you realise your talent. Just wow. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

14. CakePants
    November 23, 2015 at 2:28 pm (11 months ago)

These look beyond amazing! I love the apple + gingerbread combination. I’ve actually never had homemade doughnuts, but one of these days…

15. Vasun
    November 24, 2015 at 1:06 pm (11 months ago)

Lovely flavours and those doughnuts looks very delicious!

16. swayam
    November 28, 2015 at 11:07 am (11 months ago)

These were soooo amazing !! You had us floored with your black currant cake, but these doughnuts are so perfect for the season. Thanks for joining us at #Saucy Saturdays.
    PS: You have been FEATURED this week!! Do brag and tag us 😉

December 2, 2015 at 10:05 am (11 months ago)

Thank you! They really are perfect for this time of year, I’m refraining from making them again though as I can’t resist eating at least four of them… Thank you so much for the feature!

17. misplacedbrit
    December 9, 2015 at 8:11 am (11 months ago)

Wow wow wow! You’re a wizard in the kitchen 😀
    Love this delicious recipe; absolutely perfect for Swedish Pepparkaksdag /Gingerbread Day today!

December 22, 2015 at 6:07 pm (10 months ago)

Ha ha! Thanks Steph 🙂 I love all forms of gingerbread! x

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Gingerbread Spiced Apple Doughnuts

1. […] Gingerbread Spiced Apple Doughnuts – Oh my goodness. As homemade doughnut recipes go this one isn’t the easiest, but the combination of gingerbread and spiced apple flavours is just so good we had to share it with you! […]