Ginger Glazed Gammon With Root Vegetable Gratin

Ginger glazed Christmas ham - Domestic GothessA Christmas ham is something of a tradition in my family. My dad cooks one every Christmas Eve to sit in the fridge and be gradually whittled away at over the festive period; it is bought out for buffets and used to make sandwiches and any remains are boiled to make stock. I don’t think that a festive buffet table is complete without a gleaming, clove-studded joint of gammon.

Ginger glazed gammon joint with root vegetable gratin - Domestic GothessI was asked by OXO and Jimmy’s Farm if I would like to write a Christmas post in exchange for a selection of OXO products and a festive meat box, my fiance’s eyes lit up at the prospect of being sent £50 worth of meat so I couldn’t really refuse! Among the products I received were a casserole pan, which happened to be exactly the right size to cook the gammon in, and a mandoline slicer which came in very handy for making the gratin! I also replaced my old, useless peeler and garlic crusher, and broken salt and pepper mills… The festive meat box contained a gammon joint, shoulder of pork, several packets of bacon, chipolatas and sausage meat. Jimmy’s farm essentially operates as an online butcher, everything is delivered straight to your door and they have a wide range of meats and selection boxes; the Christmas boxes are handily delivered to you on the 23rd December, just in time to start your Christmas prep.

Oxo mandoline slicerThe meat came with a handy booklet detailing some cooking instructions, it recommended cooking the gammon in pineapple juice to keep it tender so I followed their advice, adding a few spices (it is Christmas, everything must contain spices); I based the glaze on a Nigella recipe, using ginger preserves and brown sugar with some mustard and cloves for a bit of heat. The glaze caramelises and goes fantastically sticky and shiny in the oven (make sure you line your tin with foil…it’s a b**ch to clean off); I scored the top of the ham in a diamond pattern and studded it with cloves as is traditional, though because there are ground cloves in the glaze there is no need to stud it as well if you don’t want to.

Jimmy's Farm Christmas meat boxI served the ham with root vegetable gratin, which is one of my favourite sides, and is very adaptable, you can use whatever selection of root vegetables you like; I went for potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips and carrots, but celeriac, swede and butternut squash would all work well. You do need to slice the vegetables very thinly, which does take a while if you are doing it by hand (hence why the mandoline was so useful!), but the whole dish can be cooked in advance and then reheated when needed, it keeps well in the fridge. You then need nothing more than some greens and homemade cranberry sauce to complete the meal; alternatively, both dishes work well as part of a buffet spread, and the ham can be served hot or cold, any leftovers are great for sandwiches.

Root vegetable gratin, the perfect Christmas side dish

Ginger Glazed Gammon With Root Vegetable Gratin
Serves 6-8
  • Ginger Glazed Gammon:
  • 1kg (2.2lb) gammon joint
  • 1.5 lires pineapple (or apple) juice
  • 2 star anise
  • 3 cloves
  • 6 peppercorns
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Glaze:
  • 175g (6oz) ginger preserves (or marmalade)
  • 50g (firmly packed ¼ cup) dark brown soft sugar
  • ¼ tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tbsp hot english mustard
  • cloves for studding (optional)
  • Root Vegetable Gratin:
  • 1.5kg (3.3lb) (unprepared weight) mixed root vegetables, I used 2 large potatoes, 2 large sweet potatoes, 2 large parsnips and 1 large carrot
  • 2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 300ml (3/4 + ½ cup) double cream
  • 500ml (2 +1/8 cups) full fat milk
  • generous pinch ground nutmeg
  • ½ tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper
  • 100g (3.5 oz) pecorino romano, parmesan or grana padano cheese, grated
  1. Ginger Glazed Gammon:
  2. Place the gammon joint in a large pan, pour over the pineapple juice and top up with water so that the joint is at least two thirds covered. Add the spices and bay leaves. Bring up to the boil, cover and turn down the heat; cook at a gentle simmer for 1 and a half hours, or two if the joint was cold from the fridge; tuning it over halfway through. It should reach 65C/149F in the centre.
  3. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7 and prepare the glaze by simply mixing the ginger preserves, sugar, ground cloves and mustard together in a bowl.
  4. When the gammon is cooked, lift it out of the cooking liquid and place it in a roasting tray lined with tin foil (the glaze really sticks so the tin foil saves you some scrubbing). Use a sharp knife to cut off the skin, leaving the fat; it should come away easily. Score the fat in a diamond pattern and stud each diamond with a clove if you like.
  5. Pour over the glaze, making sure that the whole ham gets a thick coating, then bake for 15 minutes until the glaze is caramelised.
  6. Root Vegetable Gratin:
  7. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Peel all of the vegetables and slice them very thinly, if you have a mandoline slicer, now is the time to use it!
  8. Place the sliced vegetables, milk, cream, garlic, nutmeg and thyme in a parge pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
  9. Remove from the heat and spread ⅓ of the vegetables in a large oven-proof dish; scatter over ⅓ of the cheese then spread over another third of the vegetables followed by another third of the cheese. Spread over the remaining vegetables and pour over and leftover liqiud then sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
  10. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden and bubbling and the vegetables are completely soft; a knife should go in easily.

Ginger glazed Christmas baked gammon - Domestic GothessI was sent some free products but I wasn’t paid to write this post and all opinions are my own.

I am sharing this with Saucy Saturdays hosted by The Flavour Bender, Take Two Tapas, La Petit Chef and Mid-Life Croissant,  Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday hosted by Herbs Spices & Traditions and Kitchen Uncorked, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features

23 Comments on Ginger Glazed Gammon With Root Vegetable Gratin

1. patisseriemakesperfect
    December 10, 2015 at 10:55 am (11 months ago)

This looks wonderful Hannah. I love gammon so much, it’s one of my favourite meats. I’ve always meant to visit Jimmy’s Farm to try the meat, it’s great that you can get it delivered.

December 22, 2015 at 6:05 pm (10 months ago)

Thanks Angela 🙂 you should check out their online shop, they’ve got quite a good selection and it’s quite handy to be able to have it delivered rather than having to go to the butchers x

2. Julie is Hostess At Heart
    December 11, 2015 at 6:03 pm (11 months ago)

Oh my gosh Hanna what a wonderful opportunity! I have a son-in-law that we have actually given meat to for Christmas and birthdays so when you said your fiancee’s eyes lit up I had to laugh. The glaze on the gammon is just beautiful and the gratin sounds delicious!

December 22, 2015 at 6:00 pm (10 months ago)

Ha ha! Yes I’m actually vegetarian so he’s got the whole lot to himself, not that he’s complaining!

3. Natalie Browne
    December 11, 2015 at 8:13 pm (11 months ago)

This looks so yummy! I’ve never had ham for Christmas, but it’s usually our go to for Easter. Thank you for sharing the recipe at Fiesta Friday this week. Have a great weekend!

4. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    December 11, 2015 at 9:46 pm (11 months ago)

You are right, no Christmas table is complete without a ham! This looks so good, I might have to pass it onto my Mum for our Christmas Day table! Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays, have a great weekend.

December 22, 2015 at 5:58 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you!

December 12, 2015 at 6:27 pm (11 months ago)

Christmas is just not Christmas without a a proper festive ham! This looks absolutely delicious Hannah, I didn’t know that Jimmy’s Farm delivered, will definitely be organising a delivery! x

December 22, 2015 at 5:54 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you! Yes they’ve got loads of stuff in their online shop, very handy 🙂 x

6. Eb Gargano
    December 14, 2015 at 10:09 am (10 months ago)

Wow! Both these dishes look amazing and sound like the taste amazing too! Definitely pinning for future reference!!

December 22, 2015 at 5:49 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you! I make the gratin a lot, it is so moreish!

7. The Kiwi Fruit
    December 14, 2015 at 5:55 pm (10 months ago)

OMG this looks so incredible!!! I love it! I am waiting to go our for dinner right now and I am so hungry…. this is not helping 🙂

December 22, 2015 at 5:45 pm (10 months ago)

Ha ha! I try to resist looking at food blogs when I’m hungry…though they tend to make me hungry even when I’m not anyway…

8. The Free From Fairy
    December 15, 2015 at 12:07 pm (10 months ago)

Oh my gosh!! This looks stunning. My mouth is watering at the thought of it! I love love love Christmas ham. I can’t wait to cook ours!

December 22, 2015 at 5:44 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you!

9. Take Two Tapas (@taketwotapas)
    December 17, 2015 at 7:40 pm (10 months ago)

I know that everyone at my house chows on all the apps while the dinner is cooking and then no one is hungry to eat the main meal but we manage to stuff it in. This gammon is the perfect addition to a table. For a main meat or main snacking!! Thanks for sharing with Saucy Saturdays!

December 22, 2015 at 5:36 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you! 🙂

10. Angie
    December 18, 2015 at 12:45 am (10 months ago)

This looks fabulous! Both my husband and I grew up with ham as the centerpiece of our Christmas dinner. We’ve started our own family tradition with prime rib roast instead, but looking at this makes me want to go back to ham!! 😀

December 22, 2015 at 5:34 pm (10 months ago)

Thanks Angie, my family always varied what they cooked for the centrepiece, we have started spending Christmas day with friends rather than family and apparently this year there’s going to be beef, pork AND a three bird roast!

11. Linda
    December 18, 2015 at 3:32 pm (10 months ago)

That has got to be one of the best looking hams I’ve ever seen!! Pinned this one! Thanks for sharing on Fiesta Friday 🙂

December 22, 2015 at 5:27 pm (10 months ago)

Thanks Linda 🙂

12. Sue
    December 21, 2015 at 7:59 pm (10 months ago)

Mouth wateringly delicious looking, beautiful photos too!

December 22, 2015 at 5:10 pm (10 months ago)

Thanks Sue!