Harissa Halloumi & Roasted Vegetable Wraps & Sweet Potato Wedges

Harissa marinated halloumi wraps with roasted vegetables & spiced sweet potato wedges - Domestic Gothess

I’ve been trying to lay off the baking a bit for a while after overdosing on sweets over Christmas… On Christmas Eve I spent the entire day in the kitchen preparing four desserts, two for Christmas day and two for Boxing day! So I’ve got another savoury recipe for you today, harissa marinated halloumi, roasted vegetable and houmous flatbread wraps with spiced sweet potato wedges. It is a relatively healthy meal, with plenty of veg and tonnes of flavour and is very easy to throw together.

Harissa halloumi, roasted vegetable and houmous flatbreads with spiced sweet potato wedges

This makes a great informal, help-yourself kind of meal, perfect for relaxed entertaining, and in the summer it could easily be adapted to cook on the barbecue. I used Encona Moroccan Harissa Marinade to flavour the halloumi, don’t use regular harissa paste unless you really like your chilli as it will be very spicy! If you can’t find the marinade then piri piri sauce will also work well. I made my own flatbreads using the recipe in this post; but shop bought flatbreads, tortilla wraps or pitta breads are all fine here.

Harissa halloumi, roasted vegetable & houmous wraps with spiced sweet potato wedges - Domestic Gothess

Harissa Halloumi & Roasted Vegetable Wraps & Sweet Potato Wedges
Serves 4
Harissa Halloumi
  • 250g(9oz) block halloumi cheese, cut into 12 slices
  • 2½ tbsp harissa marinade (or piri piri sauce)
Roasted Vegetables
  • 4 small sweet potatoes
  • 1½ tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin
Harissa Yoghurt
  • 150g (5oz) Greek yoghurt
  • 2 tbsp harissa marinade (or piri piri sauce)
To Serve
  • 4 flatbreads, wraps or pittas, warmed
  • houmous
  • salad leaves
  1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Coat the halloumi with the harissa marinade and set aside.
  2. Tip the vegetables into a large roasting tray, drizzle over the olive oil, sprinkle over the paprika, season with salt and pepper and toss everything together to coat. Roast for about 25 minutes until the vegetables are browned and the excess water has evaporated.
  3. While the vegetables are cooking, scrub the sweet potatoes well (there is no need to peel) then slice each one in half length-ways; cut each piece length ways into 4 so that each potato yields 8 wedges. Tip the wedges into a roasting tray, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle over the cumin and paprika, toss to combine.
  4. When the vegetables have finished roasting, turn the oven down to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and place the wedges in the oven. Roast for 25-30 minutes until browned and tender then season well with salt. Return the tray of vegetables to the oven for the final 5-10 minutes of cooking to warm through.
  5. While the potatoes are cooking make the harissa yoghurt by simply mixing together the yoghurt and harissa marinade.
  6. When the potatoes are almost ready, heat a little olive oil in a grill pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the halloumi slices for a couple of minutes per side until browned.
  7. To serve, spread each warmed flatbread with a dollop of houmous, top with the roasted vegetables and halloumi and a handful of salad leaves. Serve the sweet potato wedges alongside with the harissa yoghurt for dipping.

Vegetarian harissa marinated halloumi cheese flatbreads with roasted vegetables and spiced sweet potato wedgesI am sharing these with Fiesta Friday hosted by Simply Vegetarian 777 and Food Eat Love, Saucy Saturdays hosted by The Flavour Bender, Take Two Tapas, La Petit Chef and Mid-Life Croissant, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

32 Comments on Harissa Halloumi & Roasted Vegetable Wraps & Sweet Potato Wedges

1. Martin @ The Why Chef
    January 12, 2016 at 9:23 am (10 months ago)

I’ve been looking for a new way to use halloumi since the wife finally tried and realised she loved it a few months back! Although I was frying it in bacon fat at the time… I’ll be making them flatbreads as well, cheers!

2. naturemumwales
    January 12, 2016 at 10:00 am (10 months ago)

This is my kind of dinner. Looks very tasty I may have to pop out and get all the ingredients! #TastyTuesdays

3. Eb Gargano
    January 12, 2016 at 11:24 am (10 months ago)

Yum! These look so delicious! I adore the combination of harissa and halloumi and I love the idea of serving them with sweet potato wedges – such a good idea! I find the strength of harissa varies enormously from brand to brand…some are very mild (I had one from Bart that was really not hot at all) while at the other end of the spectrum they can pretty much blow your head off! Definitely pinning this recipe for future reference! Eb x

4. Angela - Patisserie Makes Perfect
    January 12, 2016 at 12:05 pm (10 months ago)

This looks delicious Hannah. Those wraps look amazing as well as the halloumi. Such a lovely meal idea.

5. larabeeuk
    January 12, 2016 at 12:56 pm (10 months ago)

Love halloumi! This looks amazing can’t wait to try it. #tastytuesday

6. supergoldenbakes
    January 12, 2016 at 1:53 pm (10 months ago)

I must admit I am not super keen on halloumi (something about the texture) but I am definitely onboard with the rest. May just substitute with feta 🙂
    They look absolutely delicious though – hopefully I can convert the kids to eat more wraps and pittas.

7. Amy
    January 13, 2016 at 4:21 am (10 months ago)

This is just the way I want to satisfy my midweek cravings! I love haloumi and any excuse to stuff it into something, serve it on top of something, or just get it into my face is always welcome. I think you must be my spirit animal – I need this on my plate now!

8. Honest Mum (@HonestMummy)
    January 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm (9 months ago)

Oh Mama Mia, this is what I miss on #veganuary, my mother country’s cheese or tiri as it’s known. Epic, beautiful post. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

9. Lukeosaurus And Me
    January 13, 2016 at 4:17 pm (9 months ago)

Oh my! This looks absolutely mouth watering. I’m definitely pinning for later & printing it out later tonight. I don’t like crazy spicey food but this just looks so good. Haloumi is a huge weakness of mine so I try to avoid it, but this just looks too good! Ray xx #tastytuesdays

10. Farida
    January 13, 2016 at 9:17 pm (9 months ago)

Love the idea! Your recipes are very interesting and worth trying, I’m sure I’ll be back again!

11. Julia@Vikalinka
    January 14, 2016 at 7:12 pm (9 months ago)

Hannah, I can’t even tell how much I loved fried halloumi, my guilty pleasure! This wrap looks so fabulous! I am so with you on the baking front, I think it might be Valentine’s Day before I dust off my baking stuff and bake again. 🙂

January 14, 2016 at 9:44 pm (9 months ago)

I must be the only person on the planet that is not keen on halloumi but I am guessing you could substitute it with chicken breast, Hannah? They look so good otherwise, I don’t want to miss out! 🙂 x

13. Sarah
    January 16, 2016 at 4:56 pm (9 months ago)

I need this halloumi wrap in my life stat! Pinning!

14. FrugalHausfrau
    January 18, 2016 at 12:28 am (9 months ago)

This is insane! What a gorgeous meal – and I’m so glad you mentioned the Harissa not being an ideal substitute for the harissa marinade because my sister just brought me some harissa from one of her fave restaurants so my mind immediately went there!

If you are up for one more link up party, we’d love to have you join in on Throwback Thursday – just click back to my blog and you’ll see it a couple of posts down! And happy New Years!

15. simplyvegetarian777
    January 22, 2016 at 5:36 pm (9 months ago)

Love love love this platter! Absolutely my kind of platter! I am so glad that you shared this too Ali g with your bars :).

16. Elaine @ foodbod
    January 22, 2016 at 5:49 pm (9 months ago)

Fabulous! I’d eat the whole thing!!

17. The Kiwi Fruit
    January 23, 2016 at 9:32 am (9 months ago)

Yummy this looks so delicious! I love Halloumi, just so delicious and textured this sounds like a fantastic dish!

February 12, 2016 at 1:57 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you! I really like halloumi as well, and it works perfectly with spicy flavours

18. Jhuls
    January 23, 2016 at 9:55 am (9 months ago)

I really love the sound of this meal. Thank you for sharing, Hannah. 🙂

February 12, 2016 at 1:55 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you!

19. Mr Fitz
    January 23, 2016 at 10:20 am (9 months ago)

Mrs Fitz will love this! Thanks!

20. petra08
    January 23, 2016 at 2:00 pm (9 months ago)

Anything with cheese will always catch my eye but halumi and harissa is just a revelation. I would never have thought of using them together (not sure why), how clever. I can just imagine the lovely taste and I will for sure make this in the summer on the barbecue as well! Thank you for bringing this to Fiesta Friday! 🙂

February 12, 2016 at 1:55 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Petra 🙂

21. Corina
    January 25, 2016 at 11:42 am (9 months ago)

What a gorgeous meal! I’d love to eat this. Harissa is one of my favourite spices pastes and it’s just so versatile.

February 12, 2016 at 1:53 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Corina 🙂 I really like harissa as well, I’m a bit of a chilli fiend!

February 12, 2016 at 1:52 pm (8 months ago)

I love halloumi too 🙂 and it’s a great veggie option for barbeques

February 12, 2016 at 1:51 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Liz 🙂

22. DanielaApostol
    January 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm (9 months ago)

A fantastic dish and a great presentation, the colours are so vivid, inviting us to try the food. Very nice!

February 12, 2016 at 1:48 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you!