Cherry Almond Chia Pudding

Chia pudding with almond milk, honey and vanilla served with a tart cherry compote and toasted flaked almonds; a healthy, filling make-ahead breakfast.

I was given a big tub of chia seeds by my aunt a while back and so far haven’t come up with many ways to use them; some went into (very tasty) granola bars but I wasn’t sure what else to do with them, any suggestions would be most welcome! The most common chia based recipe seems to be chia pudding so I thought I’d give it a go; I honestly thought that I was going to hate it, it just seems like such a strange concept and it looks like a bazillion little eyeballs, but actually I really quite enjoyed it! That doesn’t mean that it isn’t odd, this stuff is weird with a capital W and it certainly won’t be to everyone’s tastes…Damian thought that it was disgusting and I have to agree that the texture is somewhat reminiscent of frogspawn (I don’t think that I’m doing a very good job of selling it…); but if you can get past that then it is really quite tasty and incredibly healthy!

Almond milk, honey and vanilla chia pudding with quick cherry compote and toasted flaked almonds; healthy, filling, high-protein, low-carb and gluten-free!

Chia seeds are packed full of nutrients and are high in protein and fibre, low-carb and gluten-free; they absorb liquids and expand to form a gel-like consistency, which is how the pudding is made, you simply mix chia seeds with almond milk, honey (or maple syrup to make it vegan) and some vanilla and almond extracts then leave it overnight; by the morning the chia seeds will have absorbed all the liquid and formed a smooth pudding. Topped with a simple cherry compote and a scattering of toasted flaked almonds, it makes a tasty, super healthy breakfast or snack; and if you layer it up in a jar like I did and pop the lid on, it is easily portable for breakfast on the go or to take to work. It will also keep well in the fridge for a good few days so you can mix up a big batch on Sunday evening and have instant breakfasts ready for the week

Almond milk, honey and vanilla chia pudding with a simple cherry compote and toasted flaked almonds; a quick, easy, make-ahead breakfast or snack that is also incredibly good for you!

Cherry Almond Chia Pudding

Makes 2-3 servings
Author:
Chia Pudding
  • 85g (1/2 cup) chia seeds
  • 600ml (2.5 cups) unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ⅛ tsp almond extract (optional)
Cherry Compote
  • 175g (6oz) frozen cherries
  • 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • Handful of flaked almonds
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the chia seeds, almond milk, honey and extracts until smooth, allow to sit for 10 minutes then stir again to make sure there are no clumps of seeds then cover and refrigerate overnight.
  2. Place the cherries, honey and 1 tbsp of the water in a small pan, bring up to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes until the cherries have started to break down a little.
  3. Mix the cornflour with the remaining tbsp of water to make a slurry, add it to the pan of cherries and mix in well. Continue to simmer for a couple of minutes until thickened. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.
  4. The following day, divide the chia pudding into two or three portions and top with the cherry compote. Toast the almonds in a skillet for a couple of minutes until golden then scatter over the top of the pudding.
  5. The pudding will keep for several days in the fridge.

Β

Almond milk chia pudding with cherry compote and toasted flaked almonds, a healthy, filling, vegan, gluten-free and low-carb breakfastAlmond milk, honey and vanilla chia pudding with a quick cherry compote and toasted flaked almonds. It is a super healthy, nutrient-packed make-ahead breakfast that is delicious too!I am sharing this with Fiesta Friday hosted by Little Sweet Baker and Foodie On Board, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites, Friday Features and Saucy Saturdays hosted by The Flavour Bender, Take Two Tapas, La Petit Chef and Mid-Life Croissant,

22 Comments on Cherry Almond Chia Pudding

1. lucyparissi
    January 29, 2016 at 11:54 am (1 year ago)

They certainly are a little weird but I kinda like them. I usually just add a small quantity to porridge or smoothies though – not sure I could a bowl of chia pudding on its own…

February 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm (1 year ago)

It is odd…I think it helps to add other things with different textures to it – fruit, nuts, coconut etc x

January 29, 2016 at 11:50 pm (1 year ago)

I keep seeing recipes for chai pudding, but I have only ever tried the seeds in smoothies. I don’t mind the texture and I love the cherry compote so will definitely be trying this!

February 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Louise πŸ™‚ I’ve been meaning to try blending them, I might actually be able to get my fiance to try it then… x

3. Jennifer
    January 30, 2016 at 12:54 am (1 year ago)

Our household is split on chia pudding. And the same applies to rice and tapioca puddings…I think it’s a texture thing. Your version looks yummy:)

February 12, 2016 at 1:46 pm (1 year ago)

Definitely a texture thing, I love all of those but my fiance is really fussy about texture, he doesn’t even like cheesecake because of the texture!

4. Carlee
    January 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm (1 year ago)

You certainly made it look beautiful anyway. I do chia puddings sometimes and they are good in smoothies. The blender smooths out some of the bumpiness. I have also been known to throw a few in if a one pot rice dish is still a little soupy when the rice is done cooking to quickly help soak up the extra moisture.

February 12, 2016 at 1:45 pm (1 year ago)

Thats a good idea with the rice πŸ™‚ I’ll have to try blending them as well

5. Angela - Patisserie Makes Perfect
    January 31, 2016 at 10:25 pm (1 year ago)

I really like the texture of chia seeds, but I find so many times they ‘bond’ together and I end up with a little grainy cluster – I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!

This looks delicious.

February 1, 2016 at 1:36 pm (1 year ago)

I find that if you give it a really good whisk when you first mix everything together, and then again after 15 minutes or so, that it makes sure that the seeds are evenly dispersed and don’t clump together so much; I still get the odd clump but it is mostly smooth. x

6. athleticavocado
    February 1, 2016 at 12:01 am (1 year ago)

Yum! I love chia pudding! This recipe would be perfect for breakfasT!

February 12, 2016 at 1:44 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! It does make a lovely breakfast πŸ™‚

7. Life Diet Health
    February 5, 2016 at 3:41 pm (1 year ago)

What gorgeous photos of such a healthy pudding πŸ™‚ I love chia seeds in overnight oats, jams or used as an egg replacer in cakes or batters, but I can take or leave the pudding on its own. Your pictures are so gorgeous though I feel like I need to go and make some right now!

February 12, 2016 at 1:35 pm (1 year ago)

I haven’t tried chia jam yet, it’s next on my list! I like the idea of using them in overnight oats too πŸ™‚

8. Lily
    February 5, 2016 at 6:08 pm (1 year ago)

Delicious and healthy, what a great treat – yum!

February 12, 2016 at 1:32 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you!

9. Suchitra
    February 5, 2016 at 8:34 pm (1 year ago)

I use them daily in my oatmeal. I love your idea of the pudding though. I have never tried it.

February 12, 2016 at 1:32 pm (1 year ago)

Oooh I hadn’t thought to put them in porridge…I’m going to give that a go now, thank you for the idea!

10. Sandhya
    February 8, 2016 at 2:52 am (1 year ago)

This looks so pretty and what a delicious way to eat chia!

February 12, 2016 at 1:29 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you!

11. tentimestea
    February 10, 2016 at 3:35 am (1 year ago)

Haha! I’m not sure what I think of chia seeds after reading about the “eyes” and “frogspawn” but the fact that you still enjoy it (and have made such a beautiful breakfast out of it!) are definitely big selling points πŸ™‚ I love the idea of using the jars to prep quick breakfasts ahead of time, and to go!

February 12, 2016 at 1:28 pm (1 year ago)

Ha! I didn’t do a great job of selling it did I?! I think it is very much a love or hate thing, I like them, my fiance can’t stand them…they are definitely worth a try though!