A Christmas In July Feast With Iceland

Iceland Christmas in July 2017

It may seem strange to be talking about Christmas so early, but it is always good to be prepared I think! Last week, on one of the hottest days of the year, I took a trip to London to attend Iceland’s Christmas in July event at the swanky One Belgravia. It was a chance to take a peek at their upcoming Christmas range and to feast on an abundance of delectable festive goodies.

Christmas pudding

The building had been transformed into a veritable festive grotto; with snowy Christmas trees lining the entrance and stairway up to the main event, where we were greeted with a glass of bubbly (and some ice cold water to cool us down!) before checking out all of the food.

The centrepiece was a lavishly decorated table laden with everything you could possibly want for your Christmas dinner, including a luxurious gilded turkey, a boneless hand stuffed chicken cushion (that really did look like a cushion!) and a roast parsnip and portobello mushroom pithivier for the veggies as well as countless other things.

Iceland Christmas table

I’m a big fan of Iceland’s frozen fish and seafood and their festive selection looked truly amazing. From sushi to rock lobster thermidor to coconut leaf shrimp parcels parcels to salt baked seabass they had it all and I will definitely be stocking up on some of their fantastic products come Christmas time.

sushi

It is always the desserts that interest me the most and this time was no exception. The ones that caught my eye in particular were a beautiful raspberry and pistachio layered pavlova, and an amazing looking melt in the middle chocolate snowflake – you pour hot chocolate sauce over it to melt the top and reveal the chocolate mousse and honeycomb centre.

raspberry pistachio pavlova

There was also a wonderful array of colourful macarons and mini eclairs, and of course the classic Christmas puddings and mince pies; though there were so many, many more sweet treats to choose from! Last year Iceland was number one for frozen desserts and their mince pies even beat Harrods ones in a blind taste test so you know that they are delicious!

mince pies iceland

mini christmas puddings

The highlight of the dishes that we tried was an absolutely delicious smoked salmon terrine, which was also very impressively presented in a glass jar full of smoke which billowed out dramatically when you lifted the lid.

smoked salmon terrine

Some other delicious dishes that we tried were a wonderful extra mature vintage cheddar souflette, luxury smoked salmon that had been marinated in beetroot and orange meaning that it was a gorgeous colour as well as being incredibly tasty, the salt baked seabass served with Canadian lobster and a wonderful Christmas pudding with a melting brandy sauce centre (there was an entire Christmas pudding just for two of us! We made an admirable effort but didn’t quite manage to finish it…).

beetroot smoked salmon

Although it was a slightly surreal experience eating festive foods and listening to Christmas music in 30° heat, I was extremely impressed with all of the dishes; they were all up to fine dining standard which is pretty mind blowing considering it is all cooked from frozen.

Iceland may not be the first place that you think of when it comes to doing your Christmas food shopping but it really should be. All of their products are such high quality and they have an amazing range – there is something for everyone and every occasion. There is also the fact that buying frozen can take some of the stress out of cooking at Christmas; all of the prep is done for you and you can concentrate on relaxing and enjoying yourself rather than stressing over getting the dinner perfect. After all, what matters at Christmas is spending quality time with friends and family and eating delicious food, not whether you have cooked every single thing yourself from scratch!

chocolate truffles

This post is sponsored by Iceland, thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to continue doing what I love – playing with food and making a mess of my kitchen.

16 Comments on A Christmas In July Feast With Iceland

1. Lucy Parissi
    July 14, 2017 at 1:55 pm (2 weeks ago)

There certainly was something for everyone! I am definitely getting some lobster as a special treat and some of the mini eclairs and macarons…. The food was excellent throughout though and so nicely presented. I am still not ready for Christmas though….

2. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes
    July 14, 2017 at 4:06 pm (2 weeks ago)

Wasn’t everything lovely! I will definitely be heading to Iceland to fill my freezer over the holidays. So much yumminess!

3. Liz
    July 14, 2017 at 5:50 pm (2 weeks ago)

Your pictures makes the food look so good! I completely agree, Christmas is about spending time with people you love, not being a slave to the oven

4. Rebecca | Let's Eat Cake
    July 16, 2017 at 1:30 am (1 week ago)

I love the pavlova! I visited Iceland a few winters ago to see the aurora and their food was wonderful! Thanks for sharing this collection of more of their fantastic dishes!

5. Laura
    July 16, 2017 at 3:11 am (1 week ago)

Hilarious Christmas in July, I wish I could have come. It is so hot here. Beautiful food fantastic setting. I would seriously look at Iceland products, and not only for Christmas.

6. Sues
    July 16, 2017 at 3:28 am (1 week ago)

It’s never too early to talk about Christmas… Especially when it looks like this!! Omg. That table is absolutely gorgeous!! And that sushi 🙂

7. Kavey Favelle
    July 16, 2017 at 9:05 am (1 week ago)

Really wish we still had a branch of Iceland local to us, there used to be one here when we moved here more than 2 years ago but it was clsoed not long after we got here. The Christmas range look really appealing and I bet it’s superb value!

8. Lucy
    July 16, 2017 at 11:21 am (1 week ago)

That pavlova looks delicious and the seafood too! I’ll definitely be visiting my local Iceland this Christmas now.

9. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours
    July 16, 2017 at 11:29 am (1 week ago)

Such a vast range of goodies from Iceland. I haven’t thought much of Christmas, but it is always nice to know where ideas will come from when the time comes. Whereas I do like to make Christmas food from fresh, Iceland offer and great range of easy to prepare foods, that have good quality, and great for parties or those with a busy lifestyle.

10. Bintu (@recipespantry)
    July 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm (1 week ago)

So much amazing food from Iceland this Christmas. I know I can always rely on them for frozen fruit and veg freshly frozen retaining all the nutrients

11. Jane @ littlesugarsnaps
    July 16, 2017 at 7:02 pm (1 week ago)

I cannot believe this is the same Iceland of my younger years. I definitely want to check out their desserts.

12. Andrea @ The Petite Cook
    July 20, 2017 at 8:45 am (5 days ago)

Everything was so delicious, I was truly impressed by the high-quality of the ingredients used!

July 24, 2017 at 1:17 pm (21 hours ago)

Likewise! Everything was so good!

13. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet
    July 24, 2017 at 12:05 pm (23 hours ago)

Ooooh, the lobster dish was so good. Last year I bought some lobster from Iceland and simply fried it in butter. No fancy stuff was necessary, and it was divine. Great roundup!

July 24, 2017 at 12:55 pm (22 hours ago)

It was amazing! Yes, when the produce is that good it doesn’t need much dressing up!