Vanilla almond milk porridge with honey roasted pear - smooth, creamy almond milk porridge with soft, juicy honey roast pear, cinnamon & hazelnuts. Dairy free & easily adaptable to be vegan.
I had never tried almond milk up until a couple of days ago when I saw that it was on offer and bought some on a whim. I didn't think that I would really like it but was interested to try...and now I'm hooked!
It's surprisingly delicious, though not for everyone; Damian tried it and proclaimed it to be "really weird, and the taste didn't fit the texture", whatever that means...he's odd.
I don't think I would ever want it in my tea, but I would much rather drink a glass of almond milk as opposed to regular milk, and almond milk hot chocolate is something of a revelation.
I had a hunch that it would work really well in porridge and I was right, it was utterly delicious, especially when paired with vanilla, soft, juicy honey roast pear and a scattering of chopped hazelnuts and cinnamon.
The almond milk gives the porridge a slightly sweet (I used slightly sweetened milk), nutty flavour but it isn't at all overpowering.
Porridge is pretty much my favourite breakfast, it is quick and easy to make, healthy, fills you up, and is infinitely customisable.
I have just given the recipe quantity for a single portion, but it is very easy to multiply it for however many people you are serving. Also, even if it is just yourself you are making it for, it is worth roasting a few pears at once as they will keep in the fridge for a few days and can just be reheated as needed.
Obviously this is dairy free but to make it vegan all you need to do is swap the honey for maple syrup or agave and the butter for coconut oil.
Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge With Honey Roasted Pear Recipe:
Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge With Honey Roasted Pear
Honey Roast Pear
- 1 ripe pear
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- small knob butter or coconut oil
- squeeze of lemon juice about ½ tsp
- pinch ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 45 g (½ cup) porridge oats
- 250 ml (1 cup) almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 120 ml (½ cup) water
- ⅓ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Extra almond milk as needed
- chopped nuts
- ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Halve and core the pear and place cut side up in a small roasting dish, drizzle with the honey and lemon juice and dot with the butter, sprinkle over a little cardamom or cinnamon. Roast for about 20 minutes until softened, basting occasionally with the roasting juice.
- Meanwhile, mix the oats, milk, water and vanilla paste in a saucepan; cook over a low heat for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the coats are creamy and soft and the porridge has thickened. Add a little extra milk if needed to thin.
- Serve the porridge topped with the roasted pear and a little of the roasting syrup, a drizzle of honey, a handful of chopped nuts and a pinch of cinnamon.
I am sharing this with Saucy Saturdays hosted by The Flavour Bender, La Petit Chef, Take Two Tapas and Mid-Life Croissant, Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features