I do love a long, leisurely breakfast spent scrolling through Instagram or Facebook, but the sad reality is that there often isn't time to dawdle in the mornings; that is where this chocolate peanut butter banana breakfast smoothie comes in. It takes mere minutes to whip up, can easily be drunk on the go, is full of nutritious ingredients and fills you up nicely, making it a perfect option for busy mornings.
What makes it a breakfast smoothie you ask? That would be the addition of porridge oats which are incredibly healthy, full of vitamins and minerals and high in protein and fibre, have cholesterol lowering properties and keep you full for longer because they are a slow energy release cereal. The smoothie also contains peanut butter (you could use almond butter instead if you like) which again is high in protein, fibre and vitamins as well as healthy fats. Banana and dates provide natural sweetness and contain lots of fibre, potassium and other vitamins and minerals, and cacao powder gives a delicious chocolate flavour and is also a great source of magnesium, iron and antioxidants (use regular cocoa powder if you don't have cacao).
I used normal cow's milk in mine, but it will work with pretty much any kind of milk so if you need the smoothie to be vegan/dairy free then you can use almond, rice or oat milk instead. As you can see from the photos I went a bit overboard and drizzled the inside of the glass with chocolate sauce before pouring in the smoothie; obviously this is unnecessary and not really practical if you are making the smoothie in a hurry (and does make it a bit less healthy), but it does make them look pretty and adds an extra kick of chocolate.
I originally made this chocolate peanut butter banana breakfast smoothie for DIYs, check them out for some awesome craft and recipe ideas.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Smoothie
- ½ - 1 Tbsp (to taste) date nectar OR 4 pitted dates
- 30 g (¼ cup) porridge oats
- 1 ripe banana chopped
- 1 heaped tsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 heaped Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk of your choice
- 4 ice cubes
- chocolate sauce for drizzling (optional)
- If you are using whole dates rather than date nectar and they are not soft and sticky then place them in a small bowl and cover with boiling water, leave to soak for 10 minutes then drain.
- Place the oats in a blender and blitz until they are finely ground.
- Add the date nectar/dates, banana, milk, cacao powder, peanut butter and ice to the blender and blend until smooth.
- (Optional) Drizzle the inside of a glass with a little chocolate sauce, pour in the smoothie and serve, OR pour the smoothie into a travel cup with a straw and drink on the go.