Here in the UK we have been enjoying a bit of a heatwave for the past few days. It is lovely to have some sun at last, but I am struggling a bit in the heat; it has made me incredibly unproductive! I've been eating lots of ice cream and smoothies to keep me cool and also because I really haven't felt like cooking as it is so hot. I am planning on making a batch of these crispy shrimp tacos with chipotle red cabbage slaw tomorrow as there is minimal cooking involved - just a few minutes of frying the prawns. And they are exactly the kind of thing that you want to eat al fresco on a hot Summer evening accompanied by a cold beer (or a margarita!).
These crispy shrimp tacos are perfect for a casual summertime dinner party, or just for a fun family meal. They are really quick to prepare and once the slaw is made and the prawns are cooked you can just lay out all the components so that people can assemble the tacos themselves. Don't be put off by the long ingredients list, they really are easy to make!
I'm of the opinion that most things taste better when they are coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried; especially prawns. I cannot resist deep fried prawns! And if you stick those deep fried prawns in a soft corn tortilla with some crunchy, spicy slaw, avocado and salty feta cheese, well then I think that may just be my ideal meal!
Now, can someone please make me a frozen margarita?!
Crispy Shrimp Tacos With Chipotle Red Cabbage Slaw
- 400 g (4 cups) finely shredded red cabbage
- 150 g (1 ½ cups) grated carrot
- 1 small red bell pepper de-seeded and very finely diced
- 160 g (1 cup) tinned sweetcorn drained
- 1 red chilli de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- small handful fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli paste (or more to taste)
- juice of ½ lime
- 5 Tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 450 g (1 lb) peeled and de-veined king prawns (shrimp)
- 180 g (1 ½ cups) dry breadcrumbs (such as panko)
- 120 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 12 small corn tortillas
- finely shredded lettuce
- sliced avocado
- 200 g (7oz) crumbled feta cheese
- pickled jalapeños
- slices of lime
- To make the slaw, place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss together; add more chipotle paste as needed and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside in the fridge (can be made up to a couple of hours in advance).
- For the crispy prawns, place the breadcrumbs in a wide bowl, crack the eggs into another wide bowl and beat with a pinch of salt; place the flour in a third bowl and mix in the cajun seasoning and some salt and pepper.
- Half fill a deep pan with vegetable oil and heat to 185°C/370°F; or if you don't have a thermometer then until a cube of bread sizzles when it is dropped into the oil.
- Toss the prawns first in the seasoned flour, then in the egg then finally in the breadcrumbs so that they are fully coated. You will need to do this in batches.
- Fry the prawns in the oil a few at a time for a minute or two until golden brown then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen parchment.
- To serve, heat the tortillas according to the packet instructions. Top a tortilla with some lettuce, avocado, a dollop of the slaw, the prawns and some pickled jalapeños, crumbled feta cheese and a squeeze of lime juice; dig in!
I originally made these crispy shrimp tacos with chipotle red cabbage slaw for DIYs, check them out for some awesome craft and recipe ideas.