Vegan crepes with berry compote and chocolate sauce – easy, tender, egg and dairy free pancakes with a delectable chocolate sauce and mixed berry compote. Perfect for pancake day!
I realised today that it is very nearly pancake day and I hadn’t made any pancake recipes for the occasion. Thankfully I already had all of the ingredients needed to whip up these easy vegan crepes with chocolate sauce and mixed berry compote.
All three elements are very quick and easy to make and so good together. The crepes are not quite the same texture as those made with egg but they are pretty damn close and they taste just the same.
They are a simple mix of flour, plant based milk and sunflower oil; they are a little more delicate than egg based ones so be careful when you flip them but other than that they are made exactly the same way as regular crepes.
For the chocolate sauce I used coconut milk, cocoa powder, dairy-free dark chocolate and a little sugar and cornflour. It does have a slightly coconutty taste, so if you aren’t a fan of coconut then I suggest using either soy/almond/cashew milk and increasing the amount of cornflour to 2 tsp to help thicken it.
The berry compote is just mixed frozen berries cooked with a little water and sugar until soft. The pancakes would also be great served simply with the chocolate sauce and fresh berries instead of the compote. Or forgo both sauce and compote and instead go for the traditional lemon and sugar or maple syrup instead.
More Vegan Pancake Recipes:
- Fluffy vegan banana pancakes
- Fluffy vegan vanilla pancakes
- Vegan pumpkin pancakes
- Vegan chocolate pancakes with chocolate sauce
- Vegan spinach and mushroom crepes with almond cheese
If you tried this recipe why not tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
*All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.*
Vegan Crepes With Berry Compote And Chocolate Sauce
- 250 g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) soy or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup optional
- 400 g (14 oz) mixed frozen berries
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g (3.5 oz) dairy free dark chocolate chopped
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the plant milk a little at a time to avoid lumps. Continue to whisk until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth then whisk in the sunflower/coconut oil and maple syrup (if using). Set the batter aside to rest while you make the sauces.
- When you are ready to cook the crepes, place a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add a small knob of vegan spread or coconut oil then wipe out the pan with kitchen roll; you just want it to be lightly greased.
- Add a ladleful of the batter and swirl the pan to coat. Cook for a couple of minutes until the underside of the pancake is golden then carefully flip it over and continue to cook for about 30 seconds, until lightly browned. The pancakes will shrink a little as they cook.
- Slide the pancake onto a plate and repeat the greasing and cooking until you have used all of the batter.
- Place the berries, water and sugar in a pan over a medium heat and bring up to a simmer. Allow to simmer gently for 5-10 minutes until the berries are soft. Taste and add more sugar as needed.
- Place the cocoa powder, cornflour and salt in a pan. Gradually whisk in the coconut milk, a little at a time.
- Place the pan over a medium heat and bring up to a boil whilst stirring. Allow to simmer for one minute then remove from the heat. Add the vanilla extract and chocolate, leave for a minute then stir until smooth.