Peanut butter and jam waffles – the classic PB&J combination in tasty waffle form!
These peanut butter and jam waffles are a delicious interpretation of a classic PB&J sandwich – crisp, fluffy peanut butter flavour waffles topped with a quick and easy jam sauce and an amazing peanut butter sauce because you can never have too much peanut butter right?!
The waffles are super easy to make; you just stick all of the ingredients in a blender, no need to whisk. Buttermilk helps keep them light and fluffy, and peanut butter, cinnamon and vanilla provide lots of flavour.
The jam sauce is simply seedless strawberry jam heated up with a little water to thin it out. You can use any flavour of jam you like (I believe that the ‘jelly’ in ‘peanut butter and jelly’ refers to grape jelly in the US but we don’t have that in the UK so strawberry it is.), but it is best to use a smooth variety I think.
The peanut butter sauce is also really quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious. I think that as well as on waffles it would be great on an ice cream sundae! Both sauces take mere minutes to make and will keep for at least a few days in the fridge and can be reheated as needed.
I like to top these with chopped fresh strawberries to tame the sweetness of the sauces a little; and some chopped salted peanuts for texture and that addictive salty-sweet flavour.
I used my Froothie Optimum 9400 blender to make these peanut butter and jam waffles; it is a super powerful blender so it takes mere seconds to whizz up the batter.
Peanut Butter And Jam Waffles
- 150 g (1 1/4 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Peanut Butter Sauce:
- 45 g (1/8 cup) runny honey
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 65 g (1/4 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 150 g (1/2 cup) seedless strawberry jam
- 1 Tbsp water
- fresh strawberries and chopped salted peanuts to serve
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1 and place a baking sheet in the oven. To make the waffles, place all of the ingredients into a blender and blitz. Scrape down the sides and blend again until smooth. Set aside for five minutes while you heat up your waffle iron.
- Brush both sides of your waffle iron with olive oil. Pour in some batter (the exact amount will depend on your waffle maker and don't do like I did and overfill it!) and cook for about five minutes until the waffles are golden. Carefully remove the waffles from the waffle iron and place them on the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Continue making waffles until you have used all of the batter.
- To make the peanut butter sauce, place the honey, sugar, vanilla and butter in a small pan. Heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Add the peanut butter and stir until smooth then stir in the milk.
- To make the jelly/jam sauce, place the jam and water in a small saucepan and heat gently while stirring until the jam has melted and is smooth. You may need to give it a whisk.
- Serve the waffles drizzled with the two sauces and topped with sliced strawberries and chopped peanuts. If the sauces become too thick as they stand then they can be gently warmed until melted.
For more waffley goodness check out my cinnamon waffles with apple and blackberry compote, chocolate chip almond waffles and healthier chocolate banana waffles.
I originally made these peanut butter and jam waffles for DIYs, check them out for some awesome craft and recipe ideas.
*I’m a Froothie ambassador, if you click on the above links and purchase one of their products I will receive a small amount of commission. All opinions are my own. I only recommend products that I love and use myself.