Potato salad with tahini herb dressing - warm Jersey Royal new potatoes tossed with a delicious tahini, herb and lemon dressing. The perfect side dish for Spring! (Vegan). Post sponsored by Tesco.
I am not the biggest fan of mayonnaise based potato salads, but ones with more of a pesto style of dressing are another matter. This potato salad with tahini herb dressing is fresh tasting and flavourful and I would quite happily just eat a bowlful of it on it's own for dinner (or even just the dressing by the spoonful!).
The tahini herb dressing is incredibly good, I would happily slather it on pretty much anything. It isn't just good on potatoes, try it with pasta, on salads, in wraps (with falafel!), on tacos, or just as a dip for vegetable crudites or crusty bread.
The tahini gives it a lovely creamy texture, without the need to add any cream (or any dairy products at all for that matter, which makes it vegan), the herbs add a wonderful fresh flavour, and lemon gives it a bit of zing.
It is very easy to make in a food processor and will keep in the fridge for a couple of days provided it is covered with plastic wrap directly on the surface.
For the potato salad I used Tesco Jersey Royal new potatoes, they have a delicious earthy, nutty flavour and are distinctive by their kidney shape, waxy texture and delicate skins. They can only be grown on the island of Jersey and they are the only potato that carries the EU Protected Designation of Origin mark of authenticity, like Cornish clotted cream, champagne or Stilton cheese!
Jersey Royals are still produced and harvested using many traditional practices such as planting the seed potatoes by hand, fertilising the potatoes using seaweed harvested from Jersey beaches and harvesting from the islands steep slopes using winch and cables.
Their arrival is one of the traditional foodie symbols that Spring has arrived; this year however, they have been delayed by severe cold weather conditions which affected the UK (the 'beast from the east'). They are finally available in Tesco however, but be quick! They are only available for a limited period each year and you will only be able to get them until July depending on stocks.
This potato salad with tahini herb dressing is the perfect side dish for Spring; it goes great with salmon or falafel, or is perfect as part as a buffet or barbecue spread. Both the potatoes and dressing can be prepared in advance but it is best not to mix the two together until shortly before serving and I think that it is best served warm rather than cold or hot.
For more ways to use up those potatoes, check out my herby parmesan smashed potatoes, new potato, caramelised onion, rosemary and gruyere pizza and crispy potato latkes.
Potato Salad With Tahini Herb Dressing
- 30 g (one small bunch) fresh basil
- 30 g (one small bunch) fresh flat leaf parsley
- 30 g (one small bunch) fresh mint larger stems removed
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 Tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 kg (35oz) Jersey Royal new potatoes washed
- Place the herbs, lemon juice and zest, garlic, tahini, salt and a good grinding of black pepper in a food processor and blend until very finely chopped. You may need to scrape down the sides a couple of times.
- Add the olive oil and blend again until smooth. Taste and mix in more salt as needed. Store in the fridge covered with plastic wrap directly on the surface for up to a couple of days.
- Chop the larger potatoes in half and place in a pan of cold water with a dash of salt. Bring up to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain and refresh in cold water then toss with the dressing and serve.
This post is sponsored by Tesco, thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to continue doing what I love – playing with food and making a mess of my kitchen.