Banana porridge with blueberry compote – creamy banana flavoured oat porridge topped with a tangy blueberry compote.
Get two of your five a day in with this healthy, delicious and easy to make breakfast! .
This banana porridge with blueberry compote is an extremely nutritious breakfast due to the healthy oats, nutritious milk, and the fact that each serving contains two portions of your five a day.
It is quick and easy to make (because I hate cooking in the mornings) and will keep you full until lunchtime! Porridge oats are cooked with milk, mashed banana and a little cinnamon, and are served with a quick and tasty blueberry compote.
I didn't add any extra sweetener to the porridge as the ripe banana adds a lot of natural sweetness to it, though you can add a little maple syrup or agave if you feel that it needs it.
The blueberry compote has a little bit of maple syrup in it to stop it from being too sharp; but that is the only added sugar in this recipe.
Many porridge recipes call for the oats to be cooked in water, but I think that they are far, far nicer cooked in milk! You can use any plant based milk that you like, I tend to use a mixture of soy and almond for porridge.
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.
Banana Porridge With Blueberry Compote
- 100 g (1 cup) porridge oats
- 2 small ripe bananas mashed
- 700 ml (2 ¾ cups) milk
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 g (7oz) blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- juice of ½ lemon
- Place the oats, mashed banana, milk and cinnamon in a pan and stir well. Bring up to a simmer then turn down the heat and simmer gently, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes or so until thickened to the desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, place the blueberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small pan and bring up to a simmer; allow to simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the blueberries have burst and broken down slightly.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls and top with the compote. Serve with extra milk and maple syrup for drizzling.