Banana porridge with blueberry compote – creamy banana flavoured oat porridge topped with a tangy blueberry compote; get two of your five a day in with this healthy, delicious and easy to make breakfast! Post sponsored by Arla.
Milk is one of the main staples of grocery baskets across the country and it is easy to see why; it is such a useful product that is consumed for so many different reasons throughout the day.
You might pour it over your cereal at breakfast, have it in your tea and coffee, add it to smoothies, cook with it at dinner, or even bake bread with it. Because it is used so frequently, I think that it is important to make sure that the milk that you buy is of the highest quality.
Arla Organic milk is produced by free range cows, meaning that they are grazed outdoors on organically farmed land wherever possible; no artificial fertilisers or herbicides are used. Instead, they rely on crop rotation, well-timed cultivation and careful selection of crop varieties to control weeds and pests, and to maintain fertility.
Milk is proven to be extremely nutritious, A 200ml glass of semi-skimmed milk provides:
- 31% of adults reference intake of daily calcium (which is needed for maintenance of normal bones and teeth and supporting muscle.)
- 74% of our recommended daily Vitamin B12 ( which contributes to normal function of the immune system)
- 41% of our recommended daily iodine ( which contributes to normal cognitive function)
- 35% of our recommended daily Riboflavin (contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue)
- 16% of your recommended daily potassium (which contribute to maintenance of normal blood pressure)
- 28% of our recommended daily phosphorus (contributes to maintenance of normal bones and teeth)
- 14% of our recommended daily protein (which contributes to the growth and maintenance of muscle mass) (source)
I use milk daily, with my breakfast – either on cereal or to make something like this banana porridge with blueberry compote (recipe below); I have milk in my tea and coffee throughout the day, I often cook with milk; making things such as macaroni cheese or fritters, and I regularly bake with it as well (check out my recipe for Hokkaido milk bread!).
Switching to Arla Organic has been easy and it slots perfectly into my daily routine. Arla Organic Milk is available as whole milk or semi-skimmed in 2l bottles.
On to the banana porridge with blueberry compote. This is an extremely nutritious breakfast due to the healthy oats, nutritious milk, and the fact that each serving contains two portions of your five a day.
It is quick and easy to make (because I hate cooking in the mornings) and will keep you full until lunchtime! Porridge oats are cooked with milk, mashed banana and a little cinnamon, and are served with a quick and tasty blueberry compote.
I didn't add any extra sweetener to the porridge as the ripe banana adds a lot of natural sweetness to it, though you can add a little maple syrup or honey if you feel that it needs it.
The blueberry compote has a little bit of maple syrup in it to stop it from being too sharp; but that is the only added sugar in this recipe.
Many porridge recipes call for the oats to be cooked in water, but I think that they are far, far nicer cooked in milk; and it provides all those extra vitamins! If you want to make this recipe vegan then you can use any plant based milk that you like instead.
Banana porridge with blueberry compote recipe:
Banana Porridge With Blueberry Compote
- 100 g (1 cup) porridge oats
- 2 small ripe bananas mashed
- 700 ml (2 ¾ cups) milk
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 g (7oz) blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- juice of ½ lemon
- Place the oats, mashed banana, milk and cinnamon in a pan and stir well. Bring up to a simmer then turn down the heat and simmer gently, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes or so until thickened to the desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, place the blueberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small pan and bring up to a simmer; allow to simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the blueberries have burst and broken down slightly.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls and top with the compote. Serve with extra milk and maple syrup or honey for drizzling.
This post is sponsored by Arla, thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to continue doing what I love – playing with food and making a mess of my kitchen.