Chocolate coconut sorbet - rich and chocolatey but lighter than a traditional ice cream; this vegan chocolate coconut sorbet is an easy to make, refreshing treat.
The year seems to be hurtling towards Autumn at a rapid pace and I am almost ready to start sharing pumpkin and Halloween recipes. Summer is not quite over yet however, so for now I'm posting this chocolate coconut sorbet recipe while the weather is still warm.
This is a really easy recipe to make - all you need to do is heat the ingredients together in a pan and then chill until cold before freezing in an ice cream machine.
The sorbet is rich and chocolatey in flavour, with just a hint of coconut. But it is lighter and more refreshing than an ice cream. (Which means you can eat more of it!)
It is also vegan and dairy free because it is made with coconut milk and water as the base; just make sure that you use a dairy free chocolate - most dark chocolates are but do be sure to check the ingredients.
I add a little bit of coconut rum to my sorbet, this helps to stop it from freezing totally solid and adds to the flavour. It is totally optional of course, or you can use a different spirit as you like.
Even with the rum the sorbet does freeze quite firm once it has been in the freezer for a while; you just need to let it sit out at room temperature for a while before serving.
- You can swap the water for strong espresso to make a coconut mocha sorbet.
- Swap the coconut rum for spiced rum, bourbon, Tia Maria, Kahlua, Cointreau, amaretto or dairy free Irish cream.
No Ice Cream Maker?:
If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can still make this sorbet, it is just a little more work and it won’t be quite as smooth. It will still be delicious though!
Pour the chocolate coconut sorbet mixture into a freezer safe container and pop it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, take it out and use a fork to break up any ice crystals and give it a good stir then put it back in the freezer. Repeat this until it has reached soft serve consistency.
For more vegan sorbet/ice cream recipes try:
- mango lassi sorbet
- damson and gin sorbet
- vegan roasted banana ice cream with rum coconut caramel swirl
- ultra creamy vegan chocolate ice cream
- vegan peanut butter and cookies ice cream
Chocolate Coconut Sorbet Recipe:
Chocolate Coconut Sorbet
- two 400 ml (14oz) tins full fat coconut milk
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 30 g (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 150 g (5.3 oz) dark chocolate (50-70% cocoa solids) chopped
- 2-4 Tbsp coconut rum (optional) to taste
- Whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, water, vanilla, cocoa powder and salt in a saucepan.
- Place over a medium heat and stir regularly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is almost boiling.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stir until smooth.
- Pour into a large jug, cover and refrigerate until completely cold; preferably overnight.
- Once the mixture is chilled, add the rum (if using) and whisk well until smooth (the coconut milk may separate a bit as it chills).
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions. Transfer to a freezer-proof container, cover and freeze for a couple of hours before serving.