Berry crumble bars - make the best of summer berries with these easy to make, jammy, oaty, vegan crumble bars. Perfect for snacking on!
Summer is nearly over already so we had better make good use of those lovely summer berries while we still can! These vegan berry crumble bars are a delicious way to use up a selection of berries and they are perfect for dessert or snacking on.
These vegan berry crumble bars consist of a chewy, oaty biscuit base which is filled with mixed fresh berries and raspberry jam and is topped with more oat cookie crumbs.
The base and topping are made with the same mixture so you don't need to make a separate mix for the top. The berries are sweetened just with the jam - no extra sugar; so they retain some of their sharpness which is delicious with the buttery crumble topping.
You can vary the berries that you use to suit - I used a mixture of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries, but strawberries and cherries would also work well.
You can also use whatever flavour jam you like, I used a naturally sweetened raspberry jam (St Dalfour); but just use whatever jam you like best.
The bars are best eaten on the day they are made but they will keep in the fridge for a few days.
How To Make Berry Crumble Bars:
(For ingredients and full instructions see the recipe card below)
*For the best results make sure that you follow the recipe closely. As always, I highly recommend using the gram measurements (with a digital scale), rather than the cup conversions. Cup measurements are simply not accurate enough for baking and I cannot guarantee the best results if you use them.*
Start by mixing together oats, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and cinnamon. Then you add some vegan spread or coconut oil and rub it in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Tip about two thirds of the mixture into a square tin and pack it down firmly then bake until golden.
To make the filling, mix together some cornflour with lemon juice then stir in raspberry jam followed by fresh berries. Spread the filling over the cooked base.
Scatter over the rest of the crumble mixture then bake until golden and bubbling.
More Berry Recipes:
- Vegan vanilla cake with berries and jam
- Vegan blueberry pie with coconut oil crust
- Vegan ginger bundt cake with lime glaze and macerated strawberries
- Vegan chocolate raspberry scones
- Vegan lemon blueberry rolls
If you tried this recipe why not tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
*All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.*
Berry Crumble Bars (Vegan)
- 150 g (1 ⅔ cups) rolled porridge oats
- 180 g (1 ½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 130 g (¾ cup) light brown soft sugar
- ⅓ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 175 g (⅔ cup) vegan butter or coconut oil cubed
- 2 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 150 g (5.3 oz) raspberry jam
- 400 g (14oz) mixed fresh berries
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Grease a 20cm/8in square tin and line with baking parchment.
- Mix together the oats, flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the vegan butter or coconut oil and rub in using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip about two thirds of the mixture into the prepared tin. Spread it out level and pack it down very firmly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden around the edges.
- To make the filling, mix the cornflour and lemon juice together in a large bowl to make a paste. Stir in the jam followed by the berries.
- Tip the filling over the base and spread level.
- Scatter over the remaining crumble mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the crumble is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Leave to cool in the tin then carefully lift it out using the baking parchment, cut into squares and serve.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge.