PB&J porridge - creamy vegan peanut butter porridge topped with tangy raspberry compote. This oatmeal is quick and easy to make and a healthy way to keep you full until lunchtime.
I have oats for breakfast most days, whether in the form of muesli, granola, overnight oats or porridge. Plain porridge can get pretty boring however so I like to change up my mix-ins and toppings to keep it interesting.
My banana porridge with blueberry compote and my vanilla almond milk porridge with honey/maple roasted pear have both proved to be very popular; so I hope that you also enjoy this PB&J porridge recipe too!
It is really quick and easy to make, as all weekday breakfasts should be; and is very healthy and filling as well as being delicious. The peanut butter makes the porridge extra creamy, and the creaminess is perfectly balanced by the tangy raspberry compote.
Why Is This PB&J Porridge Healthy?:
The raspberry compote packs in one of your portions of five-a-day (or is it ten a day now?!); and if you want to add another portion of fruit then you can mash a small ripe banana, or half a large one, into the porridge before cooking it. This will also naturally sweeten it so you can reduce or omit the maple syrup.
The peanut butter adds extra protein and healthy fats which help to keep you full for longer. I used smooth peanut butter but crunchy is fine too and you can use either natural or creamy.
Oats are rich in fibre, which we should all be eating more of; and provide slow-release energy. They also contribute to lowering cholesterol, which may help to keep your heart healthy.
If you want to make this PB&J porridge even more healthy and filling then you can top it with a scattering of seeds and/or chopped nuts; which also provide a nice contrast in texture.
If you tried this recipe why not tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
*All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.*
PB&J Porridge (peanut butter porridge with raspberry compote)
Peanut Butter Porridge:
- 50 g (½ cup) rolled porridge oats
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cups) unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 80 g (3 oz) frozen raspberries (fresh is fine too)
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp water
- Place the oats, milk, peanut butter, vanilla and maple syrup in a pan and stir well. Bring up to a simmer then turn down the heat and simmer gently, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes or so until thickened to the desired consistency. Add a drop more milk or water if needed.
- Meanwhile, place the raspberries, maple syrup and water in a small pan and bring up to a simmer; allow to simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the berries have broken down slightly.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl and top with the compote. Add a drizzle of maple syrup if needed.
- If you want to add another portion of fruit then you can mash a small ripe banana, or half a large one, into the porridge before cooking it. This will also naturally sweeten it so you can reduce or omit the maple syrup.
- I used smooth peanut butter but crunchy is fine too and you can use either natural or creamy.