Quick black-eyed bean soup - this quick and easy black eye bean, vegetable and coconut soup is a fast, delicious and healthy vegan option for lunch or dinner.
I make this quick black-eyed bean soup a lot when I am in need of a fast but healthy meal that doesn't take a lot of effort to make.
It is so simple to whip up but it is absolutely delicious, especially if you serve it with some buttered crusty bread to mop up the juices.
It consists of a base of fried onion, celery and red bell pepper, with a tin of black-eyed beans providing the bulk.
Chipotle chilli paste, coconut milk, vegetable stock, garlic and dried thyme give it lots of flavour. It has a delicious creamy, smokey taste that is quite different to your usual soup!
How To Make Quick Black-Eyed Bean Soup:
(For ingredients and full instructions see the recipe card below)
Start by gently frying some finely chopped onion and celery in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes until it is soft and translucent.
Add diced red bell pepper, crushed garlic and dried thyme and continue to cook for a couple more minutes, stirring often.
Add a tin of rinsed and drained black-eyed beans, chipotle paste, coconut milk, a crushed vegetable stock cube and some salt and pepper.
Simmer the soup for ten minutes, stirring every now and again, then taste and add more seasoning as needed and serve with crusty bread or toast.
This black-eyed bean soup will keep in the fridge for a few days so it's great for quick lunches!
The recipe makes two portions but can easily be doubled if you want to make a larger batch.
You can swap the black-eyed beans for another type of bean if you prefer; black beans would work well with the flavours.
Make sure you use tinned (canned) coconut milk, not the drinking kind in a carton. I use light coconut milk to keep the soup a little lower in calories but full fat is fine too.
The soup can be frozen and defrosted in the microwave as needed.
More Soup Recipes:
If you tried this recipe why not tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
*All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.*
Easy Black-Eyed Bean Soup (Vegan)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 heaped tsp chipotle paste
- 1 400ml (14 oz) tin (can) coconut milk (not the drinking variety) I use light
- 1 vegetable stock cube crushed
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 400 g (14 oz) tin (can) black-eyed beans (235g drained weight) rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the finely chopped onion and celery. Cook over a low heat for five minutes or so, stirring every now and again, until soft and translucent.
- Add the diced red pepper, crushed garlic and dried thyme and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the chipotle paste, coconut milk, stock cube and black-eyed beans. Bring up to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every now and again, until everything is heated through and the vegetables have softened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with bread or toast.