Spiced cauliflower and courgette with yellow rice – this delicious vegan dish is easy to make, healthy and full of flavour. Spiced roasted cauliflower and courgette are served with flavourful yellow rice and a tangy tomato coriander salsa. Post sponsored by HelloFresh.
When HelloFresh asked me to recreate one of their recipes for the blog, it took me a long time to decide which of their delicious looking vegan meals to go for. They all looked so good!
After much deliberation I settled on this spiced cauliflower and courgette with yellow rice and tomato lime salsa.
It is a delicious, fresh, flavourful dish of spiced roasted cauliflower and courgette with seasoned yellow turmeric rice and a tangy lime, tomato and coriander salsa.
A scattering of raisins add delicious bursts of sweetness and chopped pistachios add a nice textural contrast.
It is quick and easy to make and is a lovely healthy meal that is also satisfying and absolutely delicious too.
What Is HelloFresh?:
If you haven’t yet heard of HelloFresh then where have you been?! They are a very popular meal kit service who provide recipe boxes and detailed instructions so that you can try out new and exciting meals every week.
You get to pick the recipes that take your fancy (there are plenty of veggie options) and just let them know how many servings you need and what time you would like your box delivered.
You are then sent a box full of fresh, quality ingredients which are already measured out for you, ready to cook your meals.
The detailed instruction cards walk you through the process, making cooking a breeze; and because you receive just the right amount of each ingredient there is no food waste! It is a perfect service for busy people who like fresh, home cooked food but are short on time.
How To Make Spiced Cauliflower And Courgette With Yellow Rice:
(For ingredients and full instructions see the recipe card below)
Start by chopping your cauliflower up into florets and slicing the courgette into strips. Spread them out in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with nigella seeds, turmeric and salt.
Toss it all together so that the vegetables are well coated then roast for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
To make the yellow rice, finely chop an onion and fry in some olive oil over a low heat for about 5 minutes until softened.
Add chopped garlic, turmeric and yellow mustard seeds and cook for another minute. Add the rice and stir to coat then add water and vegetable stock.
Bring up to a simmer, pop a lid on the pan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Switch off the heat and leave to steam for 10 minutes; don’t open the pan until the 10 minutes is up!
Once the rice is cooked, stir in some raisins and chopped pistachios.
To make the salsa, finely chop a couple of vine tomatoes and a handful of coriander. Place them in a bowl with a thinly sliced spring onion and grate in the zest of half a lime. Add the juice of half a lime and a good pinch of salt.
Serve the rice and roasted vegetables topped with the salsa and a scattering of chopped pistachios.
More Healthy Vegan Meals:
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
*All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.*
Spiced Cauliflower And Courgette With Yellow Rice
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 tsp nigella (kalonji/onion) seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 480 ml (2 cups) water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 vine tomatoes
- a handful fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 spring onion (scallion)
- finely grated zest of ½ lime
- juice of ½ lime
- a generous pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°/400°F. Chop the cauliflower into florets. Cut the courgette lengthways into four strips, cut each strip into three pieces.
- Spread the vegetables out in a roasting tray, sprinkle over the nigella seeds, turmeric and salt and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss everything together to coat then roast for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, to make the yellow rice, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat and add the chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the crushed garlic, turmeric and yellow mustard seeds and cook for another minute. Add the rice and stir to coat then add the water and vegetable stock cube.
- Bring up to a simmer, pop a lid on the pan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Switch off the heat and leave to steam for 10 minutes; don’t open the pan until the 10 minutes is up!
- While the rice is cooking make the salsa. Finely chop the tomatoes and coriander and thinly slice the spring onion. Place them in a bowl with the lime juice and zest and a generous pinch of salt. Stir it all together.
- Once the rice is ready, stir in the rasins and half the pistachios. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the rice topped with the roasted vegetables, the salsa and a scattering of pistachios.
This post is sponsored by HelloFresh, thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to continue doing what I love – playing with food and making a mess of my kitchen.