Creamy white bean soup - this easy, comforting vegan cannellini and butter bean soup is incredibly rich and creamy, but doesn't use any cream!
Blended white beans provide all the creaminess you need and the delicious soup is flavoured with aromatic garlic, herbs and olive oil.
This creamy white bean soup is the perfect hearty, comforting Autumnal meal.
It is easy to make but tastes amazing, with plenty of garlic, herbs and a touch of chilli.
The texture is velvety and creamy, but there is no need to add any kind of cream! This is simply achieved by blending a third of the cooked soup and stirring it back into the pan.
The blended white beans provide a wonderful texture, without the added fat!
What Do I Need To Make This Soup?:
Tinned beans: I use half cannellini beans and half butter beans - two tins of each. You can use all of one or the other, and haricot beans (navy beans) will also work. Basically any kind of creamy textured tinned white bean is fine.
Olive oil: This really adds to the flavour so don't swap it for another kind of oil (except maaybe vegan butter).
Potato: A floury variety rather than a waxy one will help give you that creamy texture. Floury potato varieties include Maris Piper, King Edward and Desiree.
Onion: Either brown or red will work, I use brown.
Garlic: Plenty of it! Feel free to add even more if you want it super garlicky.
Herbs: I use thyme and rosemary but feel free to switch these up. I like fresh thyme best but dried is also fine.
Stock: Use a good quality vegetable bouillon if you can. I like Marigold.
Chilli flakes: Optional but recommended.
How To Make Creamy White Bean Soup:
(Full measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page)
Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel the potato and cut it into 1.5-2cm chunks, peel and crush the garlic.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion, potato and garlic and cook gently, stirring very frequently, for 15 minutes.
Add the drained cannellini and butter beans, the thyme, rosemary, chilli flakes and stock.
Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes until the potato is soft.
Transfer ⅓rd of the soup to a blender and blitz until smooth.
Pour it back into the pan along with a generous grinding of black pepper and a good pinch of sea salt.
Stir and add more salt/pepper as needed.
Try adding a thinly sliced leek or a sliced carrot along with the potatoes.
This soup would be amazing topped with sliced cooked (vegan) sausage.
Don't omit/reduce the olive oil. It really adds to the flavour.
Either fresh or dried herbs work well and feel free to switch them up if you like. A teaspoon or so of Italian mixed dried herbs would work well in place of the thyme and rosemary. A dash of oregano would also be great.
The creamy white bean soup is extra delicious served with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Extra virgin olive oil drizzled crusty bread is the perfect accompaniment.
How To Store It:
This soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
It also freezes well. Allow to defrost in the fridge then reheat until piping hot to serve.
More Vegan Soup Recipes:
- Creamy vegetable chickpea soup
- Spinach, lentil and butter bean soup
- Vegan corn chowder
- Spiced carrot and pumpkin soup
- Quick black-eyed bean soup
- Vegan sausage stew with lentils and farro
- Vegetable and pearl barley stew with herby dumplings
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.
Creamy White Bean Soup (Vegan)
- 1 small/medium onion
- 1 large potato (about 400g/14oz)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- two 400 g (14 oz) tins cannellini beans drained
- two 400 g (14 oz) tins butter beans drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock (I make mine with 4 teaspoons Marigold bouillon)
- salt and pepper
- Peel and finely chop the onion, peel the potato and cut it into 1.5-2cm chunks, peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion, potato and garlic and cook gently, stirring very frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add the drained cannellini and butter beans, the thyme, rosemary, chilli flakes and stock.
- Bring the soup up to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the potato is soft.
- Transfer a third of the soup to a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour it back into the pan along with a generous grinding of black pepper and a good pinch of sea salt.
- Stir to combine, taste and add more salt/pepper as needed.