Creamy vegetable rice soup - this hearty soup is total comfort food. Filled with vegetables, white beans, rice and cashew cream it is filling, healthy and delicious!
This delicious creamy vegetable rice soup is almost somewhere between a soup and a risotto.
It has a rich, creamy texture and is on the thicker side for a soup, making it really filling and satisfying.
While it is a comforting and satiating meal, it is also pretty healthy with plenty of vegetables, and protein in the form of beans and cashews.
What Do I Need To Make This Creamy Vegetable Rice Soup?:
Rice: I use a shop-bought basmati and wild rice blend. You can use whatever kind of rice you like however.
Flour: This thickens the soup and helps to give it a velvety texture.
Butter and olive oil: I use part vegan butter, part olive oil for frying the vegetables for the best flavour.
Stock: Use a good quality vegetable bouillon if possible. I like Marigold.
Vegetables: diced onion, leek, carrot, celery and garlic form the flavour base of the soup. I also throw in some shredded kale at the end of cooking.
Tinned beans: I use cannellini beans but butter beans or chickpeas would also work well.
Herbs: A combination of dried thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon and bay leaves add tonnes of flavour. Feel free to swap these for whatever herbs you like though.
Cashews: I make a basic cashew cream to add to the soup at the end of cooking to give it a wonderful creamy, rich texture. It also ups the protein content! You can use 300ml of soy or oat cream instead if you prefer.
How To Make Creamy Vegetable Rice Soup:
(Full measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page)
Place the cashews for the cashew cream in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside to soak.
Fry the onion, leek, celery, carrot and garlic in vegan butter and olive oil for about 10 minutes until soft.
Stir in the flour and cook for a couple more minutes.
Gradually stir in the stock, a little at a time to avoid lumps.
Add the thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, bay leaf, rice, beans, salt and plenty of black pepper.
Bring the soup up to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often, until the rice is tender.
Add the shredded kale and cook for a minute or two.
Drain the soaked cashews and blend with water until smooth.
Add the cashew cream to the soup and season to taste. If you want a thinner texture you can add more stock as needed.
Tips and Substitutions:
I use a basmati and wild rice blend but you can use any kind of rice you like really. Bear in mind that some (such as brown rice) will take longer to cook than others so you will need to adjust the cooking time depending on what you use.
Don't under-season the soup. A bit of salt and pepper makes a big difference to the flavour. If you think it is lacking in flavour you probably just need to add more salt.
Feel free to switch up the vegetables. Butternut squash would be a great addition, as would fried mushrooms.
This soup is best eaten freshly made, but any leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat thoroughly to serve. The rice will soak up the liquid so you may need to add some more stock.
More Vegan Soup Recipes:
- Cheesy vegan broccoli soup
- Creamy white bean soup
- Spinach, lentil and butter bean soup
- Creamy vegetable chickpea soup
- Vegan corn chowder
- Spiced carrot and pumpkin soup
- Quick black-eyed bean soup
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.
Creamy Vegetable Rice Soup (Vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 30 g (2 Tablespoons) vegan butter
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 3 sticks celery diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 30 g (3 Tablespoons) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable bouillon (I use Marigold)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 180 g (1 cup) basmati and wild rice blend
- one 400 g (14 oz) tin cannellini beans/butter beans/chickpeas drained
- ½ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- a couple of big handfuls shredded kale
- black pepper
- 100 g (⅔ cup) cashews
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- Place the cashews for the cashew cream in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside to soak.
- Heat the olive oil and vegan butter in a large pan, add the onion, leek, celery, carrot and garlic and cook gently for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a couple more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in the stock, a little at a time to avoid lumps.
- Add the thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, bay leaf, rice, beans, salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Bring the soup up to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often, until the rice is tender.
- Add the shredded kale and cook for a minute or two until the kale is wilted.
- Drain the soaked cashews and add to a blender with the 250ml water. Blend until smooth. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the cashew cream to the soup and season to taste. If you want a thinner texture you can add more stock as needed.
- See post above for tips, details and step-by-step photos.