Smoky tomato beans - this easy, healthy vegan dish is quick to make, nutritious and full of flavour.
Serve with sweet potato mash and greens for a satisfying plant-based meal.
These smoky tomato beans are one of my favourite options for when I am in need of a quick meal that is also healthy and satisfying.
They consist of tinned white beans cooked in a tomato sauce flavoured with smoked paprika and herbs.
It is a very simple but absolutely delicious meal that packs in a decent amout of veg and protein.
What Do I Need To Make Smoky Tomato Beans?:
Tinned beans: I like to use one tin each of butter beans and cannellini beans, but you can use all of one or the other. Haricot beans also work well.
Tinned tomatoes and tomato puree: These form the base of the sauce. Tomato puree is also called tomato paste in some countries.
Onion, red bell pepper and garlic: I like to use red onion here but brown will work too. I add a chopped red bell pepper for a bit of extra veg and garlic is essential for flavour.
Smoked paprika and cayenne pepper: Smoked paprika adds the lovely smoky flavour and cayenne adds a hint of warmth. You can use chilli powder or flakes instead of the cayenne.
Stock powder: I add a couple of teaspoons of vegetable bouillon powder (I like Marigold), but a stock cube will also work.
Herbs: I use thyme and bay leaves but feel free to mix these up. Rosemary would work well.
Most kinds of tinned beans/lentils will work here, though I do like white beans best, particularly butter beans. Feel free to use whatever you've got in the cupboard however.
Any leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days and it can also be frozen.
I like these smoky tomato beans with mashed sweet potato and stir fried green vegetables, but they are also delicious just served with crusty buttered bread.
More Healthy Vegan Meals:
- Vegetable peanut fried rice
- Creamy white bean soup
- Mexican style tofu scramble
- Spinach, lentil and butter bean soup
- Chana masala
- Vegan cottage pie
- Spiced carrot and pumpkin soup
- Spiced cauliflower and courgette with yellow rice
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.
Smoky Tomato Beans
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato puree (paste)
- one 400 g (14 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or ¼ teaspoon dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- one 400 g (14 oz) tin butter beans drained
- one 400 g (14 oz) tin cannellini beans drained
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic and cook for about 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper and tomato puree and cook for a couple more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, bouillon powder and beans. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and plenty of black pepper.