Easy coconut ice cream - this vegan ice cream is super simple to make with just a few ingredients. It is rich, creamy and absolutely delicious!
In a lot of my ice cream recipes I have tried to avoid coconut flavour, using cashews and oats as a base instead. But in this one I wanted to make it as coconutty as possible!
The ice cream base is made using entirely coconut products - milk, cream and condensed milk; meaning that the flavour really shines. This is definitely an ice cream for coconut lovers only!
Because it is made just using tins/cartons, it is incredibly simple to make - just blend the ingredients, chill and freeze!
What Do I Need To Make Easy Coconut Ice Cream?:
Tinned coconut milk: Make sure that you use full fat coconut milk, not a reduced fat one, otherwise the ice cream will be icy rather than creamy.
Coconut condensed milk: A tin of condensed coconut milk provides the sweetness while also helping to keep the ice cream soft and creamy. I use Nature's Charm which can be found online or in some shops. Or you can also make your own.
Coconut cream: Adding a bit of extra coconut cream gives the ice cream a richer texture. I use a carton of Blue Dragon coconut cream, but you can also use just the solid white part from a tin of refrigerated full fat coconut milk.
Optional extras: I like to add a bit of vanilla extract, a pinch of nutmeg and a dash of dark rum. These are all optional however.
How To Make Easy Coconut Ice Cream:
(Full measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page)
Make sure that the bowl of your ice cream maker has been in the freezer for long enough, mine takes 11 hours to fully freeze.
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth.
Chill in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours. Give the mixture a good whisk then churn in an ice cream maker until it reaches a firm soft-serve consistency.
Transfer to a freezer-proof container and freeze until firm. Easy!
What If I Don’t Own An Ice Cream Maker?:
If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can still make this easy coconut ice cream, it just takes a bit more work and the texture may be a bit more icy.
Once the base is chilled, pour it into a large freezerproof container and pop it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, remove it from the freezer and give it a quick whisk with an electric mixer to break up any ice crystals then return it to the freezer.
Repeat this until it reaches soft-serve consistency then allow to freeze for a couple of hours before serving.
Blending the mixture is important to make sure that any solid lumps of fat are fully dispersed. Otherwise they can form grainy lumps in the churned ice cream.
Chill the ice cream mixture before churning it otherwise your ice cream maker may struggle to freeze it properly.
This ice cream would be great with chocolate fudge sauce swirled through, or chocolate chips added after churning.
Try adding some finely grated lime zest for a zingy flavour.
This easy coconut ice cream is quite solid straight out of the freezer so make sure that you take it out at least 15 minutes before serving to allow it to soften up a little.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
- Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Vegan mint choc chip ice cream
- Vegan coffee ice cream with chocolate swirl
- Vegan pistachio ice cream
- Rich and creamy vegan chocolate ice cream
- Vegan peanut butter and cookies ice cream
- Vegan biscoff ice cream
- Vegan chunky monkey ice cream
- Vegan chocolate coconut sorbet
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.
Easy Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan)
- ice cream maker
- two 400 ml tins full fat coconut milk
- 320 g tin condensed coconut milk
- 250 ml carton coconut cream
- pinch salt
- a pinch grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- Make sure that the bowl of your ice cream maker has been in the freezer for long enough, mine takes 11 hours to fully freeze.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blitz until really smooth. Make sure that there are no grainy lumps of fat left.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Give the mixture a really good whisk then churn in an ice cream maker until it reaches a firm soft-serve consistency.
- Transfer to a freezer-proof container and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.