Chocolate raspberry crumble bars - these easy vegan snack bars consist of a chocolatey oat crumble base and topping, filled with raspberry jam and topped with dark chocolate.
These vegan chocolate raspberry crumble bars are a delicious, satisfying snack that go very well with a cup of tea, or would be great for lunchboxes.
They consist of a chewy, crumbly, oaty chocolate biscuit base which is filled with raspberry jam and is topped with more chocolate oat cookie crumbs and a scattering of dark chocolate.
The base and topping are made with the same mixture so they are really simple to make and you only need the one bowl.
I adapted my popular berry crumble bars recipe to make these, it works extremely well as a chocolate version!
What Do I Need To Make Chocolate Raspberry Crumble Bars?:
Plain flour: Just regular plain (all-purpose) flour is best. I haven't tried making these gluten-free. I imagine they would work fine with a plain gluten-free flour blend plus ¼ tsp xanthan gum but they may be extra, extra crumbly.
Oats: Adding porridge oats to the base and crumble gives it a lovely texture. Don't use jumbo oats, regular supermarket own-brand oats are best.
Light brown soft sugar: Using light brown or muscovado sugar adds flavour and moisture. I don't recommend swapping this for any other kind of sugar or sweetener.
Butter: You need to use a vegan block butter, not the spreadable kind in a tub. I use Naturli Vegan Block or Flora Plant Butter.
Cocoa powder: I use Dutch processed (just regular cocoa powder if you are in the UK), but natural or cacao powder should work fine as well.
Dark chocolate: Chopped dark chocolate rather than chocolate chips works best here as I find that chocolate chips tend to not stick to the bars very well and just fall off the top.
Raspberry jam: You can swap this for any flavour of jam you like, but the tang of the raspberry does work particularly well with the chocolate.
How To Make Chocolate Raspberry Crumble Bars:
(Full measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page)
Mix together the plain flour, cocoa powder, oats, light brown soft sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add the cold vegan block butter and rub it in using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and no lumps of butter remain.
Tip about two thirds of the mixture into a square tin, pack it down firmly then bake for 20 minutes.
Spread the raspberry jam over the baked base.
Scatter over the rest of the crumble mixture followed by the chopped chocolate, press it down very slightly.
Bake for another 20 minutes.
All of my recipes are developed using grams, and as with all of my baking recipes I really do recommend using the metric measurements with a digital scale rather than the cup conversions. Cups are a wildly inaccurate measuring system and you will get far better, more consistent results using a scale, not to mention that it is also easier and less messy than cups!
These bars will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for around 4-5 days. They can also be frozen in a container or freezer bag; allow to defrost at room temperature to serve.
More Vegan Snack Bar Recipes:
- Vegan apple crumble bars
- Berry crumble bars
- Vegan mincemeat crumble bars
- Vegan lemon bars
- Jaffa cake bars
- Vegan Biscoff flapjacks
- Vegan oatmeal cookie bars
- Vegan fruit and nut flapjacks
- Vegan peanut butter chocolate chip pecan bars
If you tried this recipe let me know how it went! Rate it, leave a comment or tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.
Chocolate Raspberry Crumble Bars (Vegan)
- 160 g (1 + ⅓ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 25 g (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- 150 g (1 + ⅔ cups) porridge oats
- 100 g (½ cup, firmly packed) light brown soft sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 175 g (¾ cup) vegan block butter cold and diced
- 175 g (¾ cup) raspberry jam
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz) dark chocolate roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/375°F/gas mark 5. Grease a 20 cm/8 in square cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Mix together the plain flour, cocoa powder, oats, light brown soft sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cold vegan block butter and rub it in using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and no lumps of butter remain.
- Tip about two thirds of the mixture into the prepared tin. Spread it out level and pack it down very firmly. Pop the rest of the mixture in the fridge.
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the baked base then scatter over the rest of the crumble mixture, press it down very slightly.
- Scatter over the chopped chocolate then bake for another 20 minutes.
- Leave the bars to cool in the tin for 20 minutes then carefully transfer them to a wire rack. Leave to cool completely before slicing.