Coconut & Cardamom Rice Pudding With Blackberry Compote

Creamy coconut milk and cardamom rice pudding with blackberry compote, vegan and lactose free - Domestic Gothess I’ve been on a bit of a compulsive blackberry picking drive recently; I can’t seem to take the dog for a walk without coming home with a bagful of blackberries, it just seems a shame to walk past the heavily laden brambles without at least nabbing a few… I have made jam (recipe coming soon!) and I’ve been eating an awful lot of blackberry compote, which is delicious with yoghurt or porridge, but I think I enjoyed it most when I paired it with this creamy, comforting coconut and cardamom rice pudding.

Creamy, comforting coconut and cardamom rice pudding with blackberry compote, vegan and lactose free - Domestic GothessI have actually weirdly been craving rice pudding for a couple of months now, but it just seemed a bit wrong to make it in the Summer, to me rice pudding is an Autumn and Winter dish (I prefer to eat it hot), so I waited patiently until the weather began to cool down, and as soon as I felt a chill in the air I took my chance. I decided to make the pudding with coconut milk rather than regular milk as coconut works really well with blackberry, I also threw in some cardamom pods for a bit of warming spice and added a star anise to the blackberry compote. As an unintentional side effect of using coconut milk, the pudding also happens to be vegan and lactose free as a bonus.

Creamy, comforting coconut and cardamom rice pudding with blackberry compote, vegan and lactose freeRice pudding is very versatile, it can be eaten hot or cold, though I do prefer it hot, and it not only works as a pudding, but is also great as a snack or for breakfast as it is not overly sweet. If you do what I did and layer the rice pudding and compote up in a jar and pop the lid on it becomes instantly portable (remember to take a spoon….), so you can easily take it to work or as part of a school lunch. I make my rice pudding on the hob rather than baking it in the oven as I prefer the texture, it also doesn’t take anywhere near as long to cook that way and both the rice pudding and blackberry compote are very easy to make. You can replace the blackberries with any other berry if you like, just adjust the sugar to taste.

Coconut & cardamom rice pudding with blackberry compote, vegan and lactose free - Domestic GothessIf you’re a fan of creamy, fruity breakfasts then this Coconut Oatmeal With Blueberry Compote, Millet Porridge With Honey Glazed Plums, Breakfast Parfait and Caramelised Apple Oatmeal will be right up your street.

Coconut & Cardamom Rice Pudding With Blackberry Compote
Serves 4-6
Rice Pudding
  • 100g (1/2 cup) pudding rice
  • 800ml (two cans) (3.5 cups) coconut milk
  • 250ml (1 cup) water
  • 75g (1/3 cup + 1tbsp) sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 3 cardamom pods, bruised
  • milk as needed
Blackberry Compote
  • 250g (9oz) blackberries
  • 25g (2 tbsp) sugar
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 star anise (optional)
  • 1 tsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with a splash of water (optional)
  1. Place the rice, coconut milk, water, sugar, salt and cardamom pods in a pan and bring to the boil over a medium-high heat then reduce the heat to low and cook at a gentle simmer for 35-40 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has reduced; stir the mixture regularly, especially towards the end of cooking.
  2. Once the pudding is at your preferred texture, remove the pan from the heat and discard the cardamom pods, pour into a bowl, cover and leave to cool then place in the fridge to chill. If, once the pudding has chilled, you find it to be too thick, stir in a little milk to loosen.
  3. To make the compote, place the blackberries, sugar, water and star anise in a pan and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes until the blackberries have broken down.
  4. If you find the compote to be too liquidy (bear in mind that it will thicken a bit as it cools though), stir in a tsp of cornflour mixed with a splash of water then bring the compote back up to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes until thickened. Discard the star anise.
  5. Serve the rice pudding hot or cold with the compote (also hot or cold).

Β Coconut and cardamom rice pudding with blackberry compote, vegan and lactose freeI am sharing this with Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday hosted by gflife247 and Dragonfly Home Recipes, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features.

Tasty Tuesdays on

30 Comments on Coconut & Cardamom Rice Pudding With Blackberry Compote

1. vikalinkafood
    September 7, 2015 at 7:48 pm (1 year ago)

This pudding looks really, really, really tasty, Hannah! What a gorgeous combination. I love the contrast of cool coconut and warm cardamom, then there is blackberry compote…how can you not love it!

2. Amy
    September 8, 2015 at 1:26 am (1 year ago)

I would eat this hot or cold! And I bet it would make a great weekend breakfast! I can’t wait for summer berry season to begin – this is on my summer food bucket list for sure!

3. Zara - Mojo Blogs
    September 8, 2015 at 8:52 am (1 year ago)

I’ve just gotten a bumper blackberry haul from the bush next to my garden and I had no idea what to do with them other than shove them in a pie with other fruit. I think this would be much better! Fab recipe. x

September 18, 2015 at 12:33 pm (1 year ago)

I have so many plans for blackberries! I’ve already made a big batch of jam, been eating loads of blackberry compote and am planning on making blackberry gin and chocolate blackberry cake (amongst other things) x

• Zara - Mojo Blogs
        September 18, 2015 at 3:25 pm (1 year ago)

My eldest just put a big handful of blackberries in her orange & honey crumble for later, can’t wait!

4. Angela / Only Crumbs remain
    September 8, 2015 at 9:07 am (1 year ago)

Ooh how delicious does this look! I love the contrast in colours and as for the flavours – Mmm, perfect! I adore rice pudding, and as you say it’s really an autumn / winter dish though I still whip up some in summer when the I have an urge doe some!

September 18, 2015 at 12:34 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Angela πŸ™‚ I always think of rice pudding as a winter dish but I guess it is also good to eat cold so is perfectly acceptable for summer! x

5. Carrie-Time to be an Adult
    September 8, 2015 at 9:16 am (1 year ago)

These look beautiful. I love cardamom too so I’ll definitely be trying this out soon!

6. Hazel
    September 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm (1 year ago)

Oh my.. the colours and your neatness.. perfect!! I have blackberry bushes out the back.. looks like I am making a pudding this evening!

7. patisseriemakesperfect
    September 8, 2015 at 9:28 pm (1 year ago)

Hannah this is so amazing. I love rice pudding too, my Mum used to make it when I was young and I used to love eating the skin! I haven’t had it in years and your pictures make me want to dive straight in.

8. My Family Ties
    September 9, 2015 at 11:06 am (1 year ago)

Oh they look just delicious! Pinned for later and lovely to find a recipe with two of my favourite ingredients – cardamom and blackberry! #TastyTuesdays

September 9, 2015 at 9:51 pm (1 year ago)

I haven’t had rice pudding for such a long time, totally craving it now! Love the addition of cardamon, its one of my favourite spices. I usually bake it in the oven, but it takes forever so I’ll definitely try your version. x

10. Helen K
    September 10, 2015 at 12:12 pm (1 year ago)

Depending on where you live the “blackberries” you pick may be dewberries. They are in the blackberry family but are a little smaller that the blackberries you see in the store. I don’t know where blackberries grow but dewberries grow wild on the east coast and the south. Check it out. They do make wonderful jam and cobblers.

September 18, 2015 at 12:42 pm (1 year ago)

Oh how interesting, I knew that there were several varieties of blackberry but didn’t know that they had another name; I like the name dewberry πŸ™‚

11. Julie is Hostess At Heart
    September 11, 2015 at 12:43 pm (1 year ago)

This pudding looks just beautiful! I would LOVE to go on a walk and pick berries.

September 18, 2015 at 12:43 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Julie, I’ve got a freezer full as I’ve picked so many while out walking, no one else seems to be picking any so there’s loads of them!

12. Kaila
    September 11, 2015 at 3:15 pm (1 year ago)

Blackberries are my favorite fruit to pick. While all fruits taste better when they’re freshly picked, this is one of the fruits where I think it makes the biggest difference. You’re so fortunate to have some bushes on your daily walk!

Your rice pudding is beautiful! The different layers make for a beautiful dish. Thank you so much for joining us at FF, and have a wonderful weekend!! πŸ™‚

13. Jenny
    September 11, 2015 at 3:34 pm (1 year ago)

Your photos make this pudding look irresistible! I have never made rice pudding, but this post is making me want to try it out. I also like your use of coconut milk. I am often looking for substitutes for dairy products to give variety. Any kind of berry picked right off of the bush is such a treat! Happy Fiesta Friday!

September 18, 2015 at 12:46 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Jenny πŸ™‚ I don’t have any issues with dairy, but I really like the flavour of coconut milk so often use it instead of milk or cream. Yes I adore freshly picked fruits – mainly because it’s free!

14. bakeplaysmile
    September 12, 2015 at 8:02 am (1 year ago)

How lucky are you to have blackberries on your walk! That’s fantastic!!! Gosh your photos are absolutely beautiful. I’m going to make this as I LOVE rice pudding. Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party xx

September 18, 2015 at 12:48 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Lucy πŸ™‚ it took a bit of searching to find them but now I have there are loads of blackberries! I’ve been filling my freezer xx

15. Suchitra
    September 12, 2015 at 2:52 pm (1 year ago)

Cardamom rice pudding is a staple in Indian cusine. Never combined it with compote though. That sounds like a great idea. You are blessed to be able to pick blackberries! Happy FF!

16. Honest Mum (@HonestMummy)
    September 13, 2015 at 6:18 am (1 year ago)

Oh wow utterly stunning pots, adore you’ve used coconut and cardamom too, such wonderful flavours and this is the perfect autumnal treat. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

17. dishofdailylife
    September 13, 2015 at 4:43 pm (1 year ago)

Blackberries are one of my favorite fruits…this looks absolutely delicious! Sharing on Facebook tomorrow…thanks for sharing this yummy dessert with us at #FoodieFriDIY! I always love seeing your creations!

18. Divine Spice Box
    September 13, 2015 at 11:53 pm (1 year ago)

Cardamom rice pudding is a common Indian dessert but the combination with Blackberry compote takes it to the next level …superb πŸ™‚ Thanks for bringing this on FF !

19. Julia Roberts
    September 22, 2015 at 6:19 am (1 year ago)

Wow, this one look so good and captivating. I want to try this right now.

November 10, 2015 at 9:07 am (12 months ago)

Thanks Stacey, I’d love to have my own personal blackberry bush! I just go foraging in my local park.