Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge With Honey Roasted Pear

Vanilla amond milk porridge with honey roast pear, cinnamon and hazelnuts. Dairy free and easily adaptable to be vegan. I had never tried almond milk up until a couple of days ago when I saw that it was on offer and bought some on a whim. I didn’t think that I would really like it but was interested to try…and now I’m hooked! It’s surprisingly delicious, though not for everyone; Damian tried it and proclaimed it to be “really weird, and the taste didn’t fit the texture”, whatever that means…he’s odd. I don’t think I would ever want it in my tea, but I would now rather drink a glass of almond milk as opposed to regular milk, and almond milk hot chocolate is something of a revelation.

Vanilla almond milk porridge with honey roast pear, dairy free and easily adapted to be vegan.I had a hunch that it would work really well in porridge and I was right, it was utterly delicious, especially when paired with vanilla, soft, juicy honey roast pear and a scattering of chopped hazelnuts and cinnamon; the almond milk gives the porridge a slightly sweet (I used slightly sweetened milk), nutty flavour but it isn’t at all overpowering. Porridge is pretty much my favourite breakfast, it is quick and easy to make, healthy, fills you up, and is infinitely customisable. I have just given the recipe quantity for a single portion, but it is very easy to multiply it for however many people you are serving. Also, even if it is just yourself you are making it for, it is worth roasting a few pears at once as they will keep in the fridge for a few days and can just be reheated as needed. Obviously this is dairy free but to make it vegan all you need to do is swap the honey for maple syrup or agave and the butter for coconut oil.

Vanilla almond milk porridge with honey roast pear - Domestic Gothess

Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge With Honey Roasted Pear

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves 1
Author:
Honey Roast Pear
  • 1 ripe pear
  • 1 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
  • small knob butter (or coconut oil)
  • squeeze of lemon juice (about ½ tsp)
  • pinch ground cardamom or cinnamon
Porridge
  • 45g (1/2 cup) porridge oats
  • 250ml (1 cup) almond milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 120ml (1/2 cup) water
  • ⅓ tsp vanilla bean paste
To Serve
  • Extra almond milk as needed
  • honey
  • chopped nuts
  • ground cinnamon
  1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Halve and core the pear and place cut side up in a small roasting dish, drizzle with the honey and lemon juice and dot with the butter, sprinkle over a little cardamom or cinnamon. Roast for about 20 minutes until softened, basting occasionally with the roasting juice.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the oats, milk, water and vanilla paste in a saucepan; cook over a low heat for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the coats are creamy and soft and the porridge has thickened. Add a little extra milk if needed to thin.
  3. Serve the porridge topped with the roasted pear and a little of the roasting syrup, a drizzle of honey, a handful of chopped nuts and a pinch of cinnamon.

Vanilla almond milk oatmeal with honey roast pear, cinnamon and hazelnuts; dairy free and easily adaptable to be vegan.I am sharing this with Saucy Saturdays hosted by The Flavour Bender, La Petit Chef, Take Two Tapas and Mid-Life Croissant, Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Fiesta Friday, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Favourites and Friday Features

Β

35 Comments on Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge With Honey Roasted Pear

October 30, 2015 at 3:20 pm (1 year ago)

I love porridge for breakfast too, it always keeps me going until lunchtime! I keep meaning to try almond milk, you have inspired me, Hannah! x

November 5, 2015 at 9:52 am (1 year ago)

It really does set you up for the day! You should give almond milk a go, it’s pretty tasty! x

2. lucyparissi
    October 30, 2015 at 4:42 pm (1 year ago)

I have tried and liked almond milk in the past – think you have convinced me to get some again! This looks so comforting and delicious it could be dessert as well as breakfast. I am going to try this recipe – think my porridge definitely needs a bit of shaking up!

November 5, 2015 at 9:51 am (1 year ago)

I get into a habit of just making plain porridge for breakfast as I’m lazy in the mornings, but it is so much nicer if you play around with the flavour a bit and add some other things to it!

3. vikalinkafood
    October 30, 2015 at 6:02 pm (1 year ago)

My son is allergic to dairy and he’s been drinking soy and almond since he turned 1 but I never do myself, which is so strange because I love anything almond flavoured. This porridge looks amazing, I making it this weekend for sure! Love the honey roasted pear addition. πŸ™‚

November 5, 2015 at 9:50 am (1 year ago)

I adore almond but had never thought to try the milk before! Next up is hazelnut milk… πŸ™‚ x

4. Julie is Hostess At Heart
    October 30, 2015 at 11:10 pm (1 year ago)

I love almond milk on porridge! The addition of the roasted pear and honey sounds delicious!

November 5, 2015 at 9:36 am (1 year ago)

I was surprised how tasty it was! I think I liked it more than porridge made with regular milk; the pear and honey just takes it over the top πŸ™‚

5. Kaila
    October 31, 2015 at 7:21 pm (1 year ago)

Yum! This looks amazing. We use a bunch of dairy free milks in our house, and I think they all have their place in different types of cuisines. this looks like a beautiful use of almond milk. Thanks for sharing, and happy FF! πŸ˜€ P.S: Your photographs are mouthwatering as well.

November 5, 2015 at 8:51 am (1 year ago)

I haven’t tried any others apart from coconut and soy but I really liked the almond milk so I’d like to give some other ones a go. Thanks Kaila πŸ™‚

6. Strength and Sunshine
    November 1, 2015 at 3:50 pm (1 year ago)

Every day would be a brilliant day if you started off with a bowl of this! πŸ˜€

November 5, 2015 at 8:48 am (1 year ago)

It certainly gets the day off to a good start!

7. Marta Modesto
    November 1, 2015 at 8:58 pm (1 year ago)

This recipe looks so yummy… Perfect for a long day. I will try it for sure. Thank your for sharing with us.

November 5, 2015 at 8:48 am (1 year ago)

It really does set you up for the day! Thanks Marta πŸ™‚

8. Angela - Patisserie Makes Perfect
    November 1, 2015 at 10:40 pm (1 year ago)

This looks so good Hannah. I always make overnight oats with nut milk. Hazelnut is delicious too. Those pears look amazing.

November 5, 2015 at 8:46 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Angela, I was tempted to get some hazelnut milk as well, it sounds delicious, I imagine hazelnut milk hot chocolate is amazing!

9. The Free From Fairy
    November 3, 2015 at 5:02 pm (1 year ago)

This looks great! We use almond milk a lot but I am not a huge fan and try to disguise the taste with other flavours! Did you try the sweetened or unsweetened one? I am guessing the one with sugar is probably nicer but we have the one without. Thanks for sharing!

November 5, 2015 at 8:42 am (1 year ago)

Thank You! I used one that was reduced sugar but still had a bit, I liked it but probably wouldn’t do if it wasn’t sweetened at all!

10. Suchitra
    November 4, 2015 at 11:58 am (1 year ago)

I usually have oatmeal without any milk in it for breakfast! But your porridge bowl looks so delicious that I might just change the way I make mine! Thanks for sharing!

November 5, 2015 at 8:39 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Suchitra πŸ™‚

11. Lauren @ Create Bake Make
    November 5, 2015 at 10:29 pm (1 year ago)

What a great idea adding it to porridge, this looks great. My husband is also not a fan of ‘other milks’ as he calls them, that’s ok though as it means I don’t have to share πŸ˜‰ Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays, have a great weekend!

November 10, 2015 at 9:20 am (1 year ago)

It is really lovely in porridge πŸ™‚ Yes! I don’t mind not having to share! Thanks Lauren

12. playwithfoodaustralia
    November 6, 2015 at 3:16 am (1 year ago)

This looks amazing! πŸ™‚ YUM – thanks for linking up via FFF – definitely pinning so I can make it soon. πŸ™‚

November 10, 2015 at 9:18 am (1 year ago)

Thank you!

13. vegeTARAian
    November 6, 2015 at 6:52 am (1 year ago)

That looks and sounds so deliciously good! Thanks for sharing, I’m keen to give this one a try.

November 10, 2015 at 9:18 am (1 year ago)

Thank you πŸ™‚ it is delicious, I’m sure you will enjoy it.

14. Petra Kravos (@BeHealthyFeelGd)
    November 6, 2015 at 1:45 pm (1 year ago)

This looks so delicious! I love porridge and I love pears but never tried them together, definitely will be trying this combination in the future, thanks for the inspiration! #recipeoftheweek

November 10, 2015 at 9:17 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Petra, they are lovely together and it is a great way to get a bit of fruit into your breakfast!

15. Dini @ The Flavor Bender
    November 6, 2015 at 6:59 pm (1 year ago)

This looks delicious and I would GLADLY have this for breakfast every single day πŸ™‚
    Thank you for sharing at @saucysaturdays & Happy FF!

November 10, 2015 at 9:11 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Dini! It is a delicious breakfast, and really quick and easy too πŸ™‚

16. Renee Jordan
    November 10, 2015 at 3:45 am (1 year ago)

Yum! Again another great recipe. I love that I stumbled upon you this week πŸ™‚

November 10, 2015 at 8:55 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Renee, I am glad that you like my site! It is always nice to welcome new readers πŸ™‚

17. Pretty Wee Things
    November 22, 2015 at 9:21 am (1 year ago)

Total perfection in a bowl! YUM

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge With Honey Roasted Pear

1. […] Almond milk β€” Try this Vanilla Almond Milk Porridge with Honey Roasted Pear […]