Spiced red lentil and root vegetable soup - a hearty, warming and filling vegan soup that is quick and easy to make and incredibly good for you!
There are definite signs of spring in the air and I've spotted plenty of flowers starting to bloom while out on my daily dog walks; but the weather is still decidedly wet and chilly and I am not quite out of the craving comfort foods stage yet.
Soup is one of the meals that I make most regularly throughout the colder months and this spiced red lentil and root vegetable soup is my new favourite.
This soup is really hearty and filling due to the red lentils, which also help keep you full for longer.
I used mild curry powder along with some extra spices to give it a delicious spiced flavour and warming feel while not being too spicy for children to enjoy it; if you want to give it more of a spicy kick then you can use hot curry powder instead of mild and add a dash more chilli powder.
I added a can of coconut milk to complement and balance the spices and to make the soup deliciously creamy while still being suitable for vegans; I used full fat coconut milk but light will work just as well if you prefer.
I always like to make a big batch of soup to keep in the fridge for fast, healthy lunches during the week; it can also be portioned out and frozen so that you've always got a convenient healthy meal option available.
The soup is perfectly filling and delicious on it's own but I like to serve it with plenty of buttered crusty bread for dipping because I'm a carb fiend.
How To Make Spiced Red Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup:
(For ingredients and full instructions see the recipe card below)
Start by peeling and chopping all of your veg. Fry the onion gently until golden.
Add the rest of the vegetables and the spices to the pan and fry for five minutes.
Add the lentils, coconut milk and stock. Simmer until soft.
Add the thyme and coriander then blend until smooth.
More Vegan Soup Ideas:
Spinach, coconut and zucchini soup by Supergolden Bakes
Supergreens soup by How To Cook Good Food
Cabbage soup with harissa and ginger by Planet Veggie
Vegan cream of mushroom soup by Thinly Spread
Celeriac soup with apple and chilli oil by Thinly Spread
Parsnip, Ginger And Chickpea soup by Rough Measures
Caramelised courgette soup by Fab Food 4 All
Spiced parsnip spinach soup with apple and turmeric by Tin And Thyme
Mushroom soup with freekeh by Family Friends Food
If you tried this recipe why not tag @domestic_gothess on Instagram and hashtag it #domesticgothess
*All images and content on Domestic Gothess are copyright protected. If you want to share this recipe then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post the recipe or content in full.*
Spiced Red Lentil And Root Vegetable Soup (Vegan)
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 large carrots
- 3 large parsnips
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 150 g (¾ cup) red lentils
- 400 ml/14oz can coconut milk
- 750 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- couple of sprigs fresh thyme
- small handful fresh coriander
- Peel and finely chop the onion; peel and crush the garlic; peel and dice the carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently for about five minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and the rest of the vegetables to the pan along with the spices. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another five minutes.
- Rinse the red lentils and add to the pan along with the coconut milk and stock.
- Bring up to the boil then turn down to a simmer and leave to cook, stirring every now and again, for 20-30 minutes until all of the vegetables and the lentils are soft.
- Remove from the heat. Strip the leaves from the thyme and roughly chop the coriander, add to the pan along with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a stick blender to blend the soup until it is completely smooth then serve.
I originally made this spiced red lentil and root vegetable soup for DIYs, check them out for some awesome craft and recipe ideas.