It is my 30th birthday tomorrow and I’m not particularly happy about it. I just don’t feel grown-up enough to be 30 years old; I still feel like I’m just bumbling through life without a clue what I’m actually doing (but then do you ever actually grow out of that feeling?). I know that “30 is just a number” and “you’re only as old as you feel” blah blah blah etc. etc, but I can’t quite shake the feeling of dread about saying goodbye to my twenties. To commiserate and cheer me up a bit I made a batch of thoroughly un-grown-up ice cream – easy, no-churn M&M’s cookie dough ice cream with chocolate fudge swirl.
There is nothing refined about this ice cream, it is just sheer, unadulterated indulgence; a creamy vanilla base is loaded with chunks of M&M (or chocolate chip) cookie dough and swirls of chocolate fudge sauce. Bliss. The ice cream base is incredibly quick and easy to make, contains only three ingredients and there is no need for an ice cream machine. The cookie dough and chocolate fudge swirl are also both very quick and easy to make, but do need some time in the fridge to chill before whipping up the base, they can both be made a day in advance if required. The trickiest part about making this ice cream is having to wait for it to freeze; your patience will be generously rewarded however as this stuff is seriously, addictively good; definitely good enough to dispel any ageing related grumpiness, at least for a little while.
Annoyingly, it was a really hot day when I photographed the ice cream so I couldn’t get any photos where it wasn’t all melty – it doesn’t actually look as much of a mess as it does here!
- 65g (1/3 cup) sugar
- 50ml (scant ¼ cup) golden syrup
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 35g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 70g (5tbsp) butter, melted
- 80g (1/3 cup + 2tbsp) light brown soft sugar
- 70g (1/2 cup + 2tbsp) plain flour
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g (3.5 oz) M&M's, roughly chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 600ml (2.5 cups) double or whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 1 400g can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small pan until smooth, place over a medium heat and whisk constantly until in comes to a boil; cook for one minute (while whisking) then remove from the heat and allow to cool. Chill in the refrigerator before using.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the melted butter and the sugar until smooth then mix in the flour, salt and vanilla extract followed by the M&M's.
- Form the dough into a disc about 1cm thick, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate until firm. Once chilled, either chop the disc into bitesized pieces or break bits off and roll into small balls. Store the cookie dough pieces in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cream until soft peaks form then gently fold in the condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- Drizzle some of the chilled chocolate fudge sauce over the base of a large freezer-proof container, dollop over about a third of the ice cream base, scatter over some of the cookie dough pieces and drizzle over some more fudge sauce. Repeat the layering until you have used all of the ice cream base and the cookie dough, you may not need all of the fudge sauce.
- Freeze the ice cream overnight until firm.