Loaded veggie quesadillas - healthy, filling quesadillas stuffed with spiced roasted sweet potatoes, peppers, black beans, avocado, cream cheese & cheddar.
Quesadillas have to be one of the meals that I make most often, as regularly as once a week because they are not only soooo tasty (anything with cheese is good in my book), but they are also pretty quick and simple to make and are infinitely adaptable.
These particular ones are loaded with veggies and black beans so actually make for a pretty healthy and filling meal.
I use roasted sweet potatoes and peppers flavoured with spices, I've listed individual spices below, but sometimes to cut a corner I will use pre-mixed jerk seasoning (the powdered kind) or all-purpose seasoning instead. Both versions taste great, it just depends how lazy I am feeling!
I layer the roasted vegetables up with seasoned mashed black beans, guacamole, cream cheese (or sometimes I use Boursin) and extra mature cheddar cheese. That's my favourite combo but to feel free to vary it as you see fit.
The recipe serves two people and I find these filling enough on their own without any sides. Make sure that you use large tortilla wraps rather than the smaller kind used for fajitas or you wont be able to fit all the fillings in!
Vegan Loaded Veggie Quesadillas:
These loaded veggie quesadillas can easily be made vegan by replacing the cheddar cheese and cream cheese with vegan versions. To make them gluten free you simply need to swap out the wraps for gluten free ones.
More Quick Veggie Meals:
For more quick vegetarian/vegan meal inspiration try my:
- One pot vegan mushroom pasta
- Spiced black beans and callaloo with coconut rice and plantain
- Peanut tofu stir fry
- Sweet potato black bean chilli
- Easy mushroom linguine
- Ten minute naan pizza
Loaded Veggie Quesadillas Recipe:
Loaded Veggie Quesadillas
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- drizzle olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 400g tin black beans
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado
- squeeze fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 2 large tortilla wraps
- 50 g cream cheese
- 75 g extra mature cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Chop the peppers into thin slices. Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into thin rounds. Place the veg in a large roasting tray, sprinkle over the cumin, coriander, allspice and chilli powder, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss everything together to coat then roast for about half an hour until the vegetables are tender.
- Rinse and drain the black beans and place in a small pan with the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until roughly mashed then heat until warmed through.
- Place the avocado flesh in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the cream cheese over one side of each tortilla wrap. Spread the black beans over the other half. Spread the guacamole on top of the beans, layer the vegetables on top then sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Fold in half.
- Lightly grease a large frying pan with vegetable oil over a medium heat. Place the folded tortillas in the pan and heat for about 5 minutes until lightly browned then carefully flip them over and repeat on the other side. Carefully remove to a plate and serve.