Loaded Veggie Quesadillas

Loaded veggie quesadillas - delicious, filling, healthy quesadillas stuffed with spiced roasted sweet potato, peppers, black beans, avocado, cream cheese and cheddar.

Quesadillas have to be one of the meals that I make most often, as regularly as once a week because they are not only soooo tasty (anything with cheese is good in my book), but they are also pretty quick and simple to make and are infinitely adaptable. These particular ones are loaded with veggies and black beans so actually make for a pretty healthy and filling meal.

I use roasted sweet potatoes and peppers flavoured with spices, I’ve listed individual spices below, but sometimes to cut a corner I will use pre-mixed jerk seasoning (the powdered kind) or all-purpose seasoning instead. I layer these up with seasoned mashed black beans, guacamole, cream cheese (or sometimes I use Boursin) and extra mature cheddar cheese; that’s my favourite combo but to feel free to vary it as you see fit. The recipe serves two people and I find these filling enough on their own without any sides. Make sure that you use large tortilla wraps rather than the smaller kind used for fajitas or you wont be able to fit all the fillings in!

5 from 7 votes

• 1 400g tin black beans
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • salt and pepper

Guacamole:

• 1 large ripe avocado
  • squeeze fresh lemon juice (to taste)
  • salt and pepper

To Serve:

• 2 large tortilla wraps
  • 50 g cream cheese
  • 75 g extra mature cheddar cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Chop the peppers into thin slices. Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into thin rounds. Place the veg in a large roasting tray, sprinkle over the cumin, coriander, allspice and chilli powder, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss everything together to coat then roast for about half an hour until the vegetables are tender.

2. Rinse and drain the black beans and place in a small pan with the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until roughly mashed then heat until warmed through.

3. Place the avocado flesh in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.

4. Spread the cream cheese over one side of each tortilla wrap. Spread the black beans over the other half. Spread the guacamole on top of the beans, layer the vegetables on top then sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Fold in half.

5. Lightly grease a large frying pan with vegetable oil over a medium heat. Place the folded tortillas in the pan and heat for about 5 minutes until lightly browned then carefully flip them over and repeat on the other side. Carefully remove to a plate and serve.

18 Comments on Loaded Veggie Quesadillas

1. Elinor aka Beachhutcook
    February 18, 2017 at 6:50 am (8 months ago)

Perfect colourful food we need right now to brighten up these dark days.

February 23, 2017 at 9:03 am (8 months ago)

We could definitely all do with some sunshine…failing that cheesy vegetables will have to do!

2. Tjitske
    February 18, 2017 at 6:05 pm (8 months ago)

Made this tonight, my husband and I did really enjoy it!! It’s very delicious en creamy en still feels a bit healthy because of all the vegetables 🙂

February 23, 2017 at 9:02 am (8 months ago)

Wonderful! I am so glad that you enjoyed it 🙂

3. Erika
    February 19, 2017 at 1:34 pm (8 months ago)

These looks absolutely delicious! I’ll attempt to make them today and see if I can tempt my sick husband into eating. 🙂

February 23, 2017 at 9:02 am (8 months ago)

Thanks Erika 🙂 I hope you both enjoyed them and your poor husband is better soon! Send him my wishes xx

4. Emily
    March 22, 2017 at 9:03 pm (7 months ago)

This was the first time I have ever had a quesadilla and certainly will not be my last! It tasted so good and was so filling. Unfortunately my local shop doesn’t sell tinned black beans so I had to skip that step but it still tasted amazing. Thank you for sharing the recipe and I thought the picture slide show was very original and helpful!

March 27, 2017 at 8:36 am (7 months ago)

Hi Emily, that’s great! I’m really pleased that you enjoyed them and that my slideshow was helpful 🙂

5. kristen
    March 24, 2017 at 3:18 am (7 months ago)

these are SO good! such a surprising flavor. i could eat an entire pan of just the sweet potatoes and peppers alone. great recipe!

March 27, 2017 at 8:34 am (7 months ago)

Wonderful! I’m so pleased that you enjoyed them and thank you for the lovely feedback!

6. Phyllis
    March 27, 2017 at 4:09 pm (7 months ago)

What are “tin” black beans? Black beans in a can?

March 27, 2017 at 5:24 pm (7 months ago)

Hi, yes, it’s 1 400g/14oz can of black beans (in the UK we call cans tins).

7. Boyan Minchev
    July 24, 2017 at 8:09 am (3 months ago)

This veggie quesadilla looks amazing, great recipe, thank you for sharing this delight with us.

8. Kiki
    August 28, 2017 at 8:16 am (2 months ago)

Is it possible to freeze these quesadillas?

September 12, 2017 at 8:21 am (1 month ago)

Hi Kiki, I’m afraid that I don’t think the quesadillas would freeze very well. You could probably get away with freezing the roasted veg by itself but not the assembled quesadillas.

9. Valerie
    October 4, 2017 at 8:54 pm (3 weeks ago)

I am roasting my vegetables now have the black beans rinse everything smells good and lots of colour
    My husband is going to be joining me tonight so excited
    Thanks for sharing

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Loaded Veggie Quesadillas

1. […] You can enjoy quesadillas regarding of your dietary preferences. If you are a vegetarian or are just trying to live healthy and want to include more veggies into your daily meals, check out the recipe for delicious veggie quesadillas at Domestic Gothess! […]

2. […] Loaded Veggie Quesadillas from Domestic Gothess […]